Travels in a Thin Country

Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 9/14/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, September 14, 2023
This softcover (c. 1994) was donated to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) by an anonymous donor in September, 2023. Thank you!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 17, 2023

Released 5 mos ago (9/17/2023 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book by request to BookCrosser 6of8 of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA.

--------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the
whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 24, 2023
I asked Squeaky for this book when I saw it on her list of recently registered books. I am participating in the 666 reading challenge and books in South America are hard to come by.

I did not bring this one home from the meet-up with me. I offered it to Zippy who is also doing the 666 because I am about to leave for Australia and won't have time to read it before I leave anyway.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqNutZipswing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 24, 2023
6of 8 passed this book on to me at the Sept. BCinDC meetup to read for the Around the World Reading Challenge 2023. This book is about Chile.
I will make sure U get it back to read when I am done.

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqNutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 25, 2023
Read this book for the 666 Around the World Reading Challenge 2023. This book is for the continent of South America the country is Chile. The title re: "Thin Country" referes to Chile, the shape of the thin landmass of Chile goes almost down the entire west coast of S. America and looks very much like a spinal column.
The complete title of this book is "Travels in a Thin Country: A Journey Through Chile"
This book is being returned to fellow BC'er and friend who is also doing this reading challenge.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqNutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (11/29/2023 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

Returned to 6of8 who is also doing the BC Around the World reading challenge.

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing, it's free, spam free and advertisement free and loads of fun.

By joining BookCrossing you can keep track of where the book has been and where it's going.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Picked up this book from Zippy on a very chilly morning. I am having to scramble to get the 666 Challenge completed because I am spending more time sewing than reading this year.

Journal Entry 8 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, December 18, 2023
I am scrambling to finish the 666 Reading Challenge this year, so when I saw a friend had this book I asked her to save it for me. South America has proven to be the most difficult continent. I didn't realize until I opened it to start reading that the author also wrote Terra Incognita, which I read in the spring. I enjoyed her writing style and was pleased to already know that I would enjoy this book.

What I would not enjoy is traveling the way the author does -- too many bugs, too much dirt, meals that were too unpalatable way too often, too few opportunities for showers. Chile sounds like a fascinating and beautiful country that would be nice to visit, but not for very long. I think I will be content to have read this book because she obviously loved almost every second of her trip. She loved the physical beauty of the landscape and the hardy spirit of the people. She made friends easily and thought nothing of driving off into the wilderness for a week of camping with a total stranger. And my gosh did she drink. (I grew up in a culture where alcohol is forbidden, but I am frequently around people who drink and my mother's family are heavy drinkers, so I don't think it's my background that made me think her imbibing a tad excessive.) I am ASTONISHED that she never seems to have encountered strange men who harassed or tried to assault her. I think she probably just did not include those events. She was quite honest about the poverty she encountered, about the incredible remove at which wealthy people operate, and the fraught political history and its ongoing ramifications.

In sum, Chile is a beautiful place as seen through the author's eyes. Even when she has scabies and a hangover and nothing appetizing to eat. I think for me the best way to experience Chile is through this book.

Journal Entry 9 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 21, 2024
I enjoy reading the odd travel narrative from time to time, so when I saw this on the table at today's BC-in-DC meeting, it seemed fated to come home with me.