Burial Rites

by Hannah Kent | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/22/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
I got this softcover from an online seller via ABEbooks, for another release copy. It's a historical novel inspired by the events of the life of Agnes Magnúsdóttir, who was the last person executed in Iceland (via beheading; the axe head is on display at the National Museum of Iceland).

The novel focuses on the time in between the murders of Natan Ketilsson and Pétur Jónsson in 1828 and the execution of Agnes and the other convicted murderer, Friðrik Sigurðsson. (A third person, the very young woman Sigríður, was also convicted, but was sentenced to life in prison.) It seems that it was the custom to have the (admittedly rare) capital-punishment convicts housed by local people, as they would normally be executed near the site of the crime and the whole process took time. In the novel, we meet the family who are instructed to house Agnes, and who are not happy about it - understandably so given the nature of the crime. Agnes worked for Natan, who was a well-known and respected herbalist/healer (though also, it seems, a bit of a rogue), so for her to be a party to his murder and the burning of his house was pretty horrifying, and not inclined to make people rest easy under the same roof.

The novel features details of daily life on an Icelandic farm, as well as tidbits about the legal system via letters and directives. And, gradually, as the hardworking Agnes earns some respect and even trust over the course of the year she spends with the family, she opens up about her challenging childhood and youth, and what really happened on that fateful night.

Definitely atmospheric!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Released 7 mos ago (8/22/2023 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm having this book sent directly from the seller to BCer cestmoi in Canada, to fill a wish from 2013, for the US/Canada wishlist-tag game. Hope it arrives safely, and that you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 3, 2023
Thanks for this RABCK!

Journal Entry 4 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
This is a fictional account of one woman's involvement in a murder in Iceland in 1828. Set against the starkness of the country and the laws set by Denmark, it's a very dark and sad story.

Agnes is a young woman who had a horrible childhood, yet worked hard to better herself. She gets caught up with the wrong people and involved in a murder and ends up being the last woman executed in Iceland.

We are told Agnes' story through her own voice and the observations of those she is billeted with, while awaiting her execution. It is a heartfelt story of friendship and family with a tragic ending.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcestmoiwing at LFL - 99 West 25th in Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 4, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/4/2024 UTC) at LFL - 99 West 25th in Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!

If you found this at a LFL (Little Free Library) or other book exchange shelf, then you already have BookCrossing spirit! So why not join us in making the whole world a library?

If you have a moment, we'd love you to let us know you have the book as we're keen to follow its journey. You can even post a review when you've read it before passing it on to the next lucky person or if you love it, it's yours to keep!

Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!