Holidays On Ice

by David Sedaris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/17/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 17, 2023
I found this softcover in this Little Free Library in Pepperell MA while dropping off some books of my own, and nabbed it for another release copy.

I first encountered Sedaris' writing with the now-classic "SantaLand Diaries," his account of his stint as a Macy's elf. That's also the funniest entry in the book, though "Dinah, the Christmas Whore" [one of his life-with-my-family essays] is also hilarious. As with all of Sedaris' work, even the funniest bits have dark edges; he's not to everyone's taste, and some of the other entries here are pretty strong stuff, which might offend or even horrify some folks, so proceed with caution...

"Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family!" is a very black-humored take on those chatty Christmas letters, from a woman who's clearly gone around the bend, but who remains cheerful in a brittle sort of way [this is the second most frightening tale in this book, so be warned!]. "Christmas Means Giving" [THE most frightening tale, IMO] is about a well-off couple who start competing with their neighbors for "most charitable family in town," with mind-blowingly over-the-top results; and "Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol" features a professional theater critic who turns a very severe eye on a local grade-school production of "A Christmas Carol" - I laughed a lot, but again, it's got an edge.

I love Sedaris, and if you're weary of too much forced holiday cheer he might be the perfect antidote. Happy holidays!

[There's a TV Tropes page on Sedaris and his work, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Hilltop Cafe in Wilton, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, December 9, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (12/10/2023 UTC) at Little Free Library, Hilltop Cafe in Wilton, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2023 Decemberish holiday challenge. **