Touch Not the Cat

by Mary Stewart | Romance | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 0449206084 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Decatur, Georgia USA on 8/9/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Decatur, Georgia USA on Wednesday, August 9, 2023
Yesterday was International Cat Day. So when I can across this title I was attracted to it. Though the book is probably more mystery than romance, I'm registering it as a romance as that genre is underrepresented on my bookshelf.

From the Publisher:

Bryony Ashley knows that her family's grand estate is both hell and paradise -- once elegant and beautiful, yet mired in debt and shrouded in shadow. Devastated by her father;s sudden strange death abroad, she is nonetheless relieved to learn the responsibility of running Ashley Court has fallen to a cousin. Still, her father's final, dire warning about a terrible family curse haunts her days and her dreams.

About the Author:

Mary Stewart was born on September 17, 1916 in Sunderland, County Durham, England. She received a First Class Honours B.A. in English from Durham University in 1938 and a teaching certificate in 1939. She taught in elementary school until 1941 when she was offered a post at Durham University. She taught there until 1945 and received a M.A. in English during that time. Her first book, Madam, Will You Talk?, was published in 1955. Her other works included My Brother Michael, Touch Not the Cat, This Rough Magic, Nine Coaches Waiting, Thornyhold, Rose Cottage, and the Merlin Trilogy. She also wrote children's books including Ludo and the Star Horse and A Walk in Wolf Wood. She died on May 9, 2014 at the age of 97.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Friday, October 13, 2023
This book interested me at first with Bryony's seemingly supernatural communication with a "lover." I found that there was just too much set up for the drama of her father's death and the fate of his estate and lost interest. I made it to page 118. I do want to read Mary Stewart. She was a cultural phenomena in her day. Fortunately, I found my public library owns this book. Perhaps I'll return to it some day.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at LFL - Starfire Dr (1958) #20502 in Atlanta, Georgia USA on Friday, October 13, 2023

Released 8 mos ago (10/14/2023 UTC) at LFL - Starfire Dr (1958) #20502 in Atlanta, Georgia USA

This a gift from BookCrossing, a random community of book lovers. If you'd like to join the BookCrossing story of this book, please make a journal entry at our site with the BCID (bookcrossing ID) on the bookplate. BookCrossing is free to join and confidential. You don't have to join to comment. Add your experience to this book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Saturday, April 27, 2024
This book has traveled from the spot where I left it. I hope new readers will enjoy it.