The Grapes of Wrath

by John Steinbeck | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSparkishwing of Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 8/2/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingSparkishwing from Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 2, 2023
I've done my damndest to rip a reader's nerves to rags, I don't want him satisfied.'

Shocking and controversial when it was first published, The Grapes of Wrath is Steinbeck's Pultizer Prize-winning epic of the Joad family, forced to travel west from Dust Bowl era Oklahoma in search of the promised land of California. Their story is one of false hopes, thwarted desires and powerlessness, yet out of their struggle Steinbeck created a drama that is both intensely human and majestic in its scale and moral vision.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSparkishwing at A RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 3, 2023

Released 8 mos ago (8/3/2023 UTC) at A RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

A colleague very kindly let me have a bag of books she was getting rid of. This one is going out as a small wish list surprise. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by kingfan30 at Somewhere in Lincs 🤷‍♂️, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 4, 2023
Thank you so much for the surprise book, that’s a good start to the weekend

27 Sep 23 - Goodness I’m glad that’s over! About half way through I messaged a friend who I know is making her way through the big read books to see if she had ticked this one off yet. Her first response was its very depressing, the second was that it sucks all joy from the world and ads some misery! And I think that sums this book up well. There really isn’t anything upbeat about this story at all, and I’ve just read somewhere it was based on true events. I guess it does show that people will pull together when times are tough and help each other out. It did do its job as I found it actually affecting my mood. And as for the ending, it was an image I really didn’t need!

Journal Entry 4 by kingfan30 at Somewhere in Lincs 🤷‍♂️, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Released 6 mos ago (10/17/2023 UTC) at Somewhere in Lincs 🤷‍♂️, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sending on as a RABK

Journal Entry 5 by TheHappyHippy at Lanark, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 21, 2023
What a stunning surprise to receive this book through the post! And just after my birthday! Steinbeck is an author I've meant to read more of and so this book was one my wishlist. What a kind gesture to post it up to me. Though I'm a little hesitant to try it given the reviews above! Thanks so much @kingfan30