Man at the Helm

by Nina Stibbe | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 0241967805 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingsilverhammerwing of Abergavenny, Wales United Kingdom on 5/17/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingsilverhammerwing from Abergavenny, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 17, 2024
My sister and I and our little brother were born (in that order) into a very good situation and apart from the odd new thing life was humdrum and comfortable until an evening in 1970 when my mother listened in to my father's phone call and ended up blowing her nose on a tea towel - a thing she'd only have done in an absolute emergency.

Not long after her parents' separation, heralded by an awkward scene involving a wet Daily Telegraph and a pan of cold eggs, nine-year-old Lizzie Vogel, her sister and little brother and their now divorcée mother are packed off to a small, slightly hostile village in the English countryside. Their mother is all alone, only thirty-one years of age, with three young children and a Labrador. It is no wonder, when you put it like that, that she becomes a menace and a drunk. And a playwright.

Worried about the bad playwriting - though more about becoming wards of court and being sent to the infamous Crescent Home for Children - Lizzie and her sister decide to contact, by letter, suitable men in the area. In order to stave off the local social worker they urgently need to find a new Man at the Helm.

Journal Entry 2 by wingsilverhammerwing at Nevill Hall Hospital in Abergavenny, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, May 27, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (5/28/2024 UTC) at Nevill Hall Hospital in Abergavenny, Wales United Kingdom

Released on the bookshelves near Main Reception.