The Storyteller of Casablanca

by Fiona Valpy | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1542032105 Global Overview for this book
Registered by jessibud of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 7/23/2023
Journal Entry 1 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 23, 2023
This dual timeline historical novel is set in Casablanca in 19 41/2 and in 2010. I learned about Casablanca during the second World War, and for that, it was worth it for me. I did not know much about that part of the world at that time. I found the 1941 timeline much more engaging than the present day one and although I finished the book, the characters (especially Zoe) did not engage me. I found some aspects of the storyline to be a bit hard to believe and I just wanted to like this book more than I actually did.

Still, it was interesting to read about that time in history and the way the author incorporated real people and events of the time to tell it was interesting.

What you have in your hands is an honest-to-goodness gift, no strings attached. You may keep it forever and ever, pass it on to a friend, or release it into the wild like I did.

If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site, welcome! Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (it's free!) and if you do, please consider using any previous reader of this book, or me, jessibud, as the member who referred you. Or you may remain anonymous!

If you are an old hand at BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book! Either way, I hope you'll journal so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Thanks, and happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 2 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 29, 2023
OOHHHH dual timelines novels are the best!

Journal Entry 3 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
I enjoyed this very much. I loved learning about Casablanca and I loved the dual timeline. I did have to suspend disbelief, but isn't that what novels are for? I really liked the characters and although I felt that Josie's voice was far more mature than Zoe's voice (and that took some reconciling as I read along), I realised that they had both been through horrible ordeals but handled them differently.

I liked how the author tied up all the loose ends even though I am not usually a fan of "trite and perfect" endings - this one worked well.

Thanks for sharing.

Released 1 mo ago (3/4/2024 UTC) at LFL - Bendamere - south side, just west of Garth Street in Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!

If you found this at a LFL (Little Free Library) or other book exchange shelf, then you already have BookCrossing spirit! So why not join us in making the whole world a library?

If you have a moment, we'd love you to let us know you have the book as we're keen to follow its journey. You can even post a review when you've read it before passing it on to the next lucky person or if you love it, it's yours to keep!

Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!