The salt path

by Raynor Winn | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by winggillsilwing of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 7/7/2023
Journal Entry 1 by winggillsilwing from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, July 7, 2023
I found this in the Sprowston Methodist Church Little Library where I was dropping a book off.
I’ve been wanting to read this book since a close friend and my sister both told me how inspiring it was and then in May this year I went to see Raynor Winn, the author, at the Hay Book festival which made me want to read it (and the two sequels) even more.
It is the story of how her husband, Moth, was diagnosed with a terminal
rare neurological disease and literally days later they lost their home and livelihood - with nothing more to lose they embarked on walking the 630-mile South West Coast path and this is the story of that epic journey.
When reading online reviews quite a few readers didn’t take to the book, feeling Winn’s narrative and descriptions of the people they met en route was negative and complaining. This was not at all how she came across in person at the talk.
So I’m going to embark on this with an open mind…

Journal Entry 2 by winggillsilwing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, July 27, 2023
I’m happy to say I really liked the book and don’t agree that it was overly negative. Raynor’s descriptive writing was lovely and often made me feel I was there alongside them. An inspiring story and book and I enjoyed reading about some of the places on the Cornwall stretch of the path that I’ve been to on holiday - St Ives, Zennor and Lands End, Polruan and the Bedruthan steps area.

Raynor Winn has written two further books - The Wild Silence and Landlines and I’ll be looking to read these too.

Released 7 mos ago (7/27/2023 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Send as a wishlist RABCK to daffodil-2 - I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

Congratulations! You’ve found a travelling book 😊
It would be great if you could make a journal entry here to say what you thought of the book and then, if you like, release it again to continue its journey.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, July 31, 2023
Received in the post today from gillsil after she saw it on my wishlist. Thanks very much. Thanks also for the postcard and b c bookmark. I look forward to reading the book as soon as it fits one of Plum-Crazy's monthly What to Read themes (see in the Forum under Book Talk).

Journal Entry 5 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, September 15, 2023
REVIEW:- " I enjoyed this book which kept me on the edge of my seat at times when the adventurers were going through some very bad patches on their walks with very little food, money or shelter. I really sympathised with them as to how they lost their home unnecessarily due to not being able to access Legal Aid. I liked how the author described her surroundings but found the book as a whole, a little over-descriptive at times. I've definitely decided that long walks/hikes and wild camping would never have been my kind of thing.
I would have liked to have known a little bit more about the reaction of the walkers two children, to their adventures, and also to have an update on Moth's health and the progress, or not, of his University studies. (She rushes off to Google it)."
Reserved for my husband and later for Plum-Crazy who is already familiar with the main characters in the book, she says.

ETA:- I now see, as above, that there are two sequels to this book so I guess I'll have to look out for them too to update my knowledge of Raynor and Moth.

Journal Entry 6 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2023
REVIEW (by my husband):-" This couple were brave to take on the walking challenge after being made homeless. I enjoyed reading the book to start with but after a time it became a bit boring with endless names of places, beaches and coves. Perhaps a more condensed edition might be better."
Reserved for Plum-Crazy who said she was familiar with the author when I mentioned the book to her recently.

Journal Entry 7 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, November 27, 2023

Released 3 mos ago (11/29/2023 UTC) at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book will be sent to plum-Crazy as she is keen to read it.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 8 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 2, 2023
Thank you for this & all the other books daff. I'm intending to read this next year as part of my Set-It-Yourself Non-fiction Challenge & once again I'm aiming to read 12 non-fiction books.

Journal Entry 9 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 15, 2024
While overall I quite liked this book, it did cause a lot of conflicting emotions in me, as a result my thoughts about it are a bit contradictory.

After being made homeless & receiving the diagnosis of a terminal illness, Ray & Moth set off to walk 630 miles around the south west coast. A brave & inspirational idea? Or foolhardy & reckless? Well, I couldn't make my mind up. Ray can certainly tell a tale & while, as the blurb tells you it's a "lyrical story of human strength and endurance", I just didn’t expect her to irritate me so much!

The love & devotion the couple have to each other shines through, which makes it all the harder for me to see understand why, considering his illness, she would put Moth through this walk/ordeal (to be fair, it did seem to do him good but….being the worrier I am… I can't help think that things could have had a very different outcome).

While Ray describes the scenery well, especially when it comes to the weather - at times you can almost feel the cold & damp in your bones - but there's also a lot of repetition. I did get tired of her peeling nose, bird-nest-hair & the drying of wet clothes. Her tales of wild camping, however, were quite entertaining on the whole but there was also the fact that she seemed to take it as her god given right to camp wherever she wanted, even "stealing" nights on camp sites so they didn’t spend any of their limited cash. Having such a small budget to live on can't have been easy but surely they could have found something more nourishing than noodles, bars of fudge & sharing the odd bag of chips? Yet even though they had so little, Moth in particular, was always willingly to give what he could to someone else in need.

What really struck me was the reaction of people on discovering the couple were homeless. Assuming they were backpacking, people would chat away happily to the pair but once the "H" word was mentioned, people couldn't get away fast enough, as if homelessness was catching! This treatment of the couple got my hackles up, how can people be so cruel & ignorant? However, Ray often showed little consideration to others for example in one pub "I hung my red socks over the edge of the table & the water from them drained into the pool beneath the rucksacks". She seemed to have a rather prickly personality, sometimes being a little aggressive but then her circumstances didn't induce calm.

An interesting read but...dare I say it....I just didn't like Ray.

Read as part of my 2024 S-I-Y Non-Fiction Challenge 3/12