Calling Me Home

by Julie Kibler | Women's Fiction |
Registered by wingdjf1968wing of San Ramon, California USA on 6/28/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingdjf1968wing from San Ramon, California USA on Wednesday, June 28, 2023
I found this in a little free library while visiting Redmond, OR. The story of Isabelle & Dorrie... "forbidden love and unexpected friendships" drew me in.

Journal Entry 2 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Monday, January 15, 2024
Initially, the blurb on the dust jacket drew me in: “Forbidden love. Unlikely friendship. A journey that will change two lives forever…” It’s my second read in January because it was one of the selections on the Book Girls Guide’s list of the best books published in 2012, and my first read in their 2024 In Case You Missed It (ICYMI) challenge.

Eighty nine year old Isabelle McAllister enlists the assistance of her thirty-something hairdresser – embarking on a journey from Texas to Cincinnati for a funeral.

Yes, there’s a story there. Several stories. The central one is Isabelle’s – a tenacious teenager in small town Kentucky in 1939, she falls in love with the Black son of her family’s housekeeper. The author does an admirable job straddling the dual-timeline – and reminding readers that while we’ve made progress since the 1930’s, we’ve still got a road ahead of us. As she says in the final lines of her acknowledgements: “I hope you’ll take this novel for what it is: a story I imagined about things that are true. IF you live along the routes Dorrie and Isabelle travel, you know better than I do how far things have come, and how far they still need to go.”

This was Julie Kibler’s debut novel. I enjoyed it a lot, and I’m looking forward to exploring what else she’s written since 2012.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"A person gets up in years and she forgets to use her filters."

"The heart is a demanding tenant; it frequently makes a strong argument against common sense."

"But understand this: When you fall in love, every kind of reason flies out of the newly opened window of your brain."

"It's an irony that young people mostly see things as black and white, Dorrie. All or nothing. Sometimes, in spite of their enthusiasm for embracing change, it takes years before they truly see the whole picture."

Journal Entry 3 by wingdjf1968wing at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (5/22/2024 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I'm including this as my PLACE contribution to the third round of the Person/Place/Thing book spiral. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingclaudiuwing at South Jordan, Utah USA on Monday, June 10, 2024