Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons

by Gerald Durrell | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingSqNutZipswing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 6/28/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqNutZipswing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, June 28, 2023
I purchased this book from my local Friends of the Library book store to read for the BC 666 Around the World Reading Challenge, 2023. 6 books from the 6 continents 6 books from each continent. This book counts for Africa.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqNutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Thursday, June 29, 2023
This book is a 1st addition © 1977. Nat Hx. of some of the rarest and near extinct animals native to the African Island country of Mauritius. Durrells' descriptions of the flora, fauna, and coral reefs of Mauritius are vivid and gorgeous. His descriptions and observations of the human species and human folly on this zoological expedition are just as keen as re: flora & fauna and many times hilarious.

This book was published in 1977 so much has changed since then re: the continuing degradation of the envrionment by human developement and the danger of extinction to species all over the world making the stats in the book decades out of date. However, I still recommend reading this book. It's a very interesting read.

Gerald Durrell was the founder of the Durrell Wildlife Preservation Trust. https://www.durrell.org/

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqNutZipswing at Little Free Library - Brookside Gardens in Wheaton, Maryland USA on Thursday, June 29, 2023

Released 8 mos ago (6/29/2023 UTC) at Little Free Library - Brookside Gardens in Wheaton, Maryland USA

This book is registered and released in memory of Becky Johns.

Becky the daughter of fellow BookCrosser, ResQgeek, was tragically killed in an accident on August 2010 at the age of 9.
Becky especially loved cats, horses and horseback riding. She loved all creatures great and small. She enjoyed reading Nancy Drew mysteries. Her favorite colors were red and pink. She was born on Valentine’s Day. 💕

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing, it's free, spam free and advertisement free and loads of fun.

By joining BookCrossing you can keep track of where the book has been and where it's going.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqNutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 10, 2024
Oooops! I found this book in one of my many disorganized book bags last week and looks like it was not released at Brookside Gardens as planned. However, I am re-releasing this book to fellow BC'er and friend 6of8 to read for the BC forum 666 Around the World Reading Challenge 2024.
This book counts for the continent Africa, the country Mauritius.

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqNutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 10, 2024

Released 2 wks ago (2/11/2024 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

Releasing this book to fellow BCinDCer 6of8.

Also releasing for Becky's Hugs 💕 and The Great Backyard Bird Count release challenges for 2024. http://www.BeckysHugs.com/

To the person who finds this book.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing. It's free, spam free and advertisement free and it's also loads of fun.

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, February 12, 2024
Zippy brought this by for me to read for the 666 Challenge. I have enjoyed other books by this author and I am always interested in learning more about animals I am unlikely to be able to spend quality time with.