The Landlord of Hummingbird House

by Jane Harvey | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 9781919602332 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingkiki66wing of Gauting, Bayern Germany on 6/17/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingkiki66wing from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Saturday, June 17, 2023
When April moves into Hummingbird House, she is intrigued by her mysterious landlord, Dai.

With a bruised heart and a distinct lack of furniture, she spends the summer getting to know the other occupants. As she smartens up her home and makes peace with her recent past, she befriends Paul, a solitary ex-chef, and Betty, an elderly lady who lives in the basement flat.

But Hummingbird House holds many secrets, and the relationships of the tenants are not as straightforward as they seem. April learns some shocking truths one eventful night, and realises that victims and villains can look the same.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkiki66wing at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Saturday, June 17, 2023
I quite liked this book, the story, the characters.
The different lives, the different reasons they live in Hummingbird House.. the whole book felt like a complex theatre play.
I guessed Betty's "secret" quite early, but I expected something worse from Dai, but can't write more because of possible spoilers.
All in all I will be looking forward to a sequel!

very short ring so far:

1. Icila (F/EU)
2. penelopewanders (F/EU)

back home to kiki - merci

Journal Entry 3 by wingkiki66wing at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Thursday, August 3, 2023
On its way to Icila - enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, August 4, 2023
Already here, looking forwards to reading it. Thank you kiki, for the lovely Falkirk bookplate too..

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, August 13, 2023
Difficult to comment without spoiling. I would’nt say no to a sequel. :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, August 24, 2023

Released 6 mos ago (8/25/2023 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

Dropped in the post office to travel towards penelopewanders.

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Thursday, September 14, 2023
This mini-ring seems to have done a little pirouette here in France - thanks Icila for sending and thanks, Kiki for making it available.
It was waiting for me when I got back from Spain. A number of other books are jumping in line in front of it, but I look forward to reading it - and sending it home to Kiki when I'm done.

Journal Entry 8 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Sunday, October 1, 2023
This was an interesting little book - I probably would have read it much more quickly, but I went off on a trip in the middle and didn't have enough left to read to merit taking it with me.
I appreciated the themes dealt with. Grief, of course, and I think Paul's OCD is pretty obvious from the get-go but will refrain from mentioning the other big one so as not to create a spoiler. There's a fair amount of build up before it finally becomes clear what that issue is, so I will respect the author's decision not to reveal it too soon.
I enjoyed this book - although I was irritated by the numerous typos - but I can't say it would be a favorite. Nonetheless glad to have had the opportunity to read it as a bookcrossing ring.
I see this heads back to Kiki, but as I think I'll have another book to return soon (Aunt Dimity anyone?) I will wait and send them together if that's ok. If it needs to go elsewhere, please let me know.

Journal Entry 9 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Saturday, November 25, 2023

Released 3 mos ago (11/25/2023 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

Dropped this off at the post office on a crisp Saturday morning - thanks so much for making this available.
Wishing everyone a happy healthy holiday season!

Journal Entry 10 by wingkiki66wing at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Thursday, November 30, 2023
The landlord is back in snowy Gauting..
thank you both for reading and sending it on!

Happy Holidays!