Oranges are Not the Only Fruit

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingengelsmanwing of Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 5/30/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingengelsmanwing from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, May 30, 2023

The cover text reads:

This is the story of Jeanette, adopted and brought up by her mother as one of God's elect. Zealous and passionate, she seems destined for life as a missionary, but then she falls for one of her converts.

At sixteen, Jeanette decides to leave the church, her home and her family for the young woman she loves.

Innovative, punchy and tender, Oranges are Not the Only Fruit is a few days' ride into the bizarre outposts of religious excess and human obsession.

This is #765 on the https://www.listchallenges.com/1001-books-you-must-read-2018 list.

The story is timeless; but for the fact that there are radios and ice-cream vans, the missionaries could easily be Dr Livingstone and his Victorian contemporaries. I vaguely remember the trailers for the television version years ago, that didn't appeal to me at all, and it's clear that my attitudes and those of society have changed in the intervening years, largely though the bravery of friends coming out as gay, and through books like this. It's a coming of age story about first love, and I liked it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingengelsmanwing at Minibieb OBCZ Hotel De Doelen in Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, January 27, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (1/27/2024 UTC) at Minibieb OBCZ Hotel De Doelen in Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

[to be] left on the bookshelf under the stairs