Act of Oblivion

by Robert Harris | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingengelsmanwing of Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 5/29/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingengelsmanwing from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, May 29, 2023

The cover text reads:

1660

Colonel Edward Whalley and his son-in-law, Colonel William Goffe, cross the Atlantic. They are on the run and wanted for the murder of Charles I. Under the provisions of the Act of Oblivion, they have been found guilty in absentia of high treason.

In London, Richard Nayler, secretary of the regicide committee of the Privy Council, is tasked with tracking down the fugitives. He'll stop at nothing until the two men are brought to justice. A reward hangs over their heads -- for their capture, dead or alive.

Act of Oblivion is an epic journey across continents, and a chase like no other. It is the thrilling new novel by Robert Harris.

I've been a big fan of Robert Harris since Enigma and Fatherland, and I now find that in a "senior moment" I've somehow bought two copies of Act of Oblivion !?!   :-)

I also like books that are set somewhere different, and I can't say I've read many stories that deal with the fledgling English colonies in America, nor have I read about the English Civil War, Cromwell and the execution of King Charles I, and everything comes together in one.

An interesting read, and as you count down the pages towards the end, you wonder whether Nayler will finally succeed in his hunt after so many years, whether the fugitives Whalley and Goffe have even survived, or whether anyone rides off into the sunset or settles down and lives happily ever after.

Released 1 mo ago (4/13/2024 UTC) at Minibieb Utrechtse Jaagpad (Tolkienwinkel) in Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

left in the Little Free Library bookcase by the door of the Tolkienwinkel