Zoe's Tale

by John Scalzi | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by erishkigal of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 4/24/2023
Journal Entry 1 by erishkigal from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, April 24, 2023
Book 4 of Skalzi’s Old Man’s War series.
As usual – because I have to be the worlds worst at journaling immediately – it’s been quite a while since I read this.

Zoe’s Tale, for the most part, is a retelling of The Last Colony. But this time, rather than being told, through adult eyes, it’s toll through the eyes of a teenage girl, with all the snarkiness at can involve, lol if you have recently read the last colony, this may seem redundant; on the other hand, because there is so much backstory, it can definitely be a standalone book. I enjoyed Zoe‘s character, and seeing through her eyes and feelings, only at the end did I have a problem with the book as if for me it became too came too over the top princessey, difficult to suspend belief.

Journal Entry 2 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, April 24, 2023

Released 10 mos ago (4/21/2023 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Release as a rabck

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 24, 2023
The book arrived safely today; many thanks! (I also appreciated the "just one more chapter" sticker, showing a skeleton who just couldn't put the book down. I empathize!) I did enjoy The Last Colony, and am interested to read this one, an alternate viewpoint of the same events through the eyes of young Zoë. (I've enjoyed many of Scalzi's other works, from the stand-alone Redshirts, a riff on the many fictional characters whose job it is to be introduced only to get killed, by way of showing how series things are for the main characters, to the SF/weird-concept police-procedurals of Lock In and The Dispatcher.)

Later: An entertaining addition to the series, showing Zoë's perspective on the events of The Last Colony while filling in some segments of galactic events - and how she managed to cope with having been put in the position of near-deity, very much against her will.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the "Old Man's War" books, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at New Hampshire Welcome Center I-93 N in Salem, New Hampshire USA on Friday, December 8, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (12/8/2023 UTC) at New Hampshire Welcome Center I-93 N in Salem, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a window ledge inside the entrance to the visitor's center; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2023 What's In A Name challenge. **