21 Lessons for the 21st Century

by Yuval Noah Harari | Nonfiction |
Registered by mom-oyster of Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on 4/19/2023
Journal Entry 1 by mom-oyster from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Wednesday, April 19, 2023
This book is about to embark on its Bookcrossing journey.

Released 1 yr ago (4/23/2023 UTC) at Day Of The Book (Street Festival) On Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

This book will be released at the 2023 Kensington Day of the Book Festival.

Hello! So glad you found this book. If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! I hope you'll leave a journal entry. You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing (it's free!).

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, April 24, 2023
I grabbed this book as soon as I saw it. I'm now reading the book "Sapiens" by the same author. That book is fascinating. I'd like to try this book and see if I enjoy it as much. Thanks, mom-oyster!

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 26, 2024
This is the second book by this author which I have read. I like how he puts problems we face on a global basis rather than an individual or national basis. In order to survive in the future, we need to have a plan that will work for future generations. He talks about many subjects which will affect our lives in the future. For me, his most profound thoughts arise out of his belief that our lives consist of myths and stories which encompass such things as nationhood, religion, and other categories with which each of us self-identifies. What surprised me the most was at the end of the book where the author finds meaning and solace in meditation.

One thing I especially love about Harari’s writing is that he writes about each subject clearly and objectively. Whether I agree or disagree with what he writes, I understand perfectly what says. I also delight in the ways he expresses himself (i.e. “What my people lack in numbers and real influence, they more than compensate for in chutzpah.”). This author’s truths are so factual they oftentimes make me laugh in their simplicity.

Books like this one are exceptional in forcing readers to think about how objectively they see the world in terms of such things as religion, politics, and truth. I am eager to continue reading the brilliant writing of this author.

------------------Above is my actual review----------------------------------
-----------Below is ChatGPT's Review using my thoughts!------------

Having delved into Yuval Noah Harari's previous work, *Sapiens*, I approached *21 Lessons for the 21st Century* with high expectations. Harari did not disappoint. At 67% through the book, I find myself both challenged and enlightened by his global perspective on contemporary issues. Harari deftly shifts the focus from individual or national concerns to a broader, global context, emphasizing the necessity for plans that ensure the survival and prosperity of future generations.

Harari’s book covers a wide array of subjects that are poised to shape our future, from the rise of artificial intelligence to the threats posed by climate change and nuclear war. For me, the most profound insights stem from his exploration of the myths and stories that define our lives. Harari posits that concepts such as nationhood, religion, and personal identity are constructs—narratives we create and perpetuate. This perspective is both unsettling and illuminating, prompting a reevaluation of the foundational stories we tell ourselves.

What truly sets Harari apart is his ability to communicate complex ideas with clarity and objectivity. Whether or not I agree with his conclusions, I always understand his arguments. His knack for distilling intricate subjects into comprehensible and thought-provoking narratives is evident throughout the book. I particularly enjoy his witty expressions, such as, “What my people lack in numbers and real influence, they more than compensate for in chutzpah.”

Harari’s writing compels readers to reassess their views on religion, politics, and truth. His observations often resonate with a simplicity and clarity that are both startling and refreshing, making me chuckle at times. The simplicity of his truths is disarming, inviting readers to engage deeply with the material.

------------My final thoughts-----------------------------------------

Although ChatGPT writes a much better review, my own review is more me. :D

This was an interesting exercise, though. I noticed that chat GPT picked up the fact that I made notes about this book when I was 67% of the way through it. LOL!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 26, 2024

Released 2 wks ago (5/27/2024 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

How convenient to have you here today, 6of8, to pass along this book to you! It is fabulous. I hope it is as thought-provoking for you as it was for me. See you soon!

--------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the
whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 26, 2024
I stopped off at Squeaky's house to drop off some left over books from Gaithersburg. She had just finished reading this book and was in the process of writing a review. she tells me it blew her mind and that I should read it.