Planned downtime coming up
Planned site outage for security related maintenance: June 25th, 5:00PM - 6PM ET (Eastern Time). Expected duration: just a few minutes.

The Black Dahlia

by James Ellroy | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by 4evagreen of Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 3/30/2023
Journal Entry 1 by 4evagreen from Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Spotted this in a charity shop and just couldn't resist picking it up.

Journal Entry 2 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 25, 2024
A novel loosely based upon a real case, the murder of Elizabeth Short that the press nicknamed the Black Dahlia. She was born in Boston in 1924 and was murdered in Los Angeles in 1947. Her case became famous because her body was horribly mutilated and is still unsolved. Ellroy uses the case as a basis to write a complex story of Los Angeles in the 1940s.

This novel is about friendship and obsession and how they can sometimes blind us to what is right in front of us. In some respects I found it a difficult book to read; the 'good guys' are corrupt, violent, drug-fuelled misogynists whilst the 'bad guys' hide their own vices behind a veneer of respectability.

Whilst this is undoubtedly a powerful piece of writing that started really well I came away from it feeling somewhat short-changed. In the end I simply got fed up with all the gore and sleaze, whilst the final chapters was a rather bizarre kitsch noir. Just what was Bucky on?

Hopefully the next reader will enjoy it more.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (5/29/2024 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as part of a Reading it/Want it thread. I hope that you get more out of it than I did. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (5/29/2024 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Journal Entry 5 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, May 30, 2024
Arrived safely today.