a painted house

by John Grisham | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Scarlett17 of Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/21/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Scarlett17 from Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 21, 2004
"The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day. It was a Wednesday, early in September 1952. The Cardinals were five games behind the Dodgers with two weeks to go, and the season looked hopeless. The cotton, however, was waist high to my father, almost over my head, and he and my grandfather could be heard before supper whispering words that were seldom heard. It would be a "good crop".
Thus begins the new novel from John Grisham, a story inspired by his own childhood in rural Arkansas."

If you're looking for another Grisham legal thriller, you'll be disappointed. There are no lawyers in this one. But a departure from the author's usual subject matter doesn't mean a departure from his usual fascinating style. This book gives an interesting and restful picture of life in the Deep South in the 50's and what it would have been like for a small boy to grow up there. An enjoyable, summery read.

Journal Entry 2 by Scarlett17 from Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, May 22, 2004
This is going to be a bookring. There seem to be a number of Grisham bookrings available but not for this book and since it's different from many of his others I should think there will be room for it!
The mailing list will be available as a journal entry.

Journal Entry 3 by Scarlett17 from Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, May 30, 2004
The mailing order for the bookring is as follows:

1. WritinReader (Kentucky)
2. Casperette (Minnesota)
3. Raquelsita (California)
4. Jeweleee (Bolton, UK)(Note 3 "E"s at end of name)
5. back to me, Scarlett17

Please journal when the book arrives, and again to say what you thought when you've read it.

Release planned for Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at Fellow BookCrosser in Postal release, Postal Release Controlled Releases.

Sending to WritinReader, the book's first stop on a bookring.

Journal Entry 5 by rem_NFI-175395 on Monday, June 07, 2004
I got this in the mail today, will begin reading tomorrow..thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by rem_NFI-175395 on Tuesday, June 22, 2004
I was really looking forward to reading this, but with this past weekend we had a really horrible thing happen in my family. My son is going to need me and I'm not sure how much time I am going to have to read. I've got a couple of other bookrings already in my possession and I don't want to keep anyone waiting for too long. Maybe I'll get a chance to get this book and read it sometime down the road. As soon as I get an address from Casperette, I'll put it in the mail.

Journal Entry 7 by Casperette from Brainerd, Minnesota USA on Saturday, June 26, 2004
This book looks fabulous! I had recommended it for our local book club to read a while ago but it was out voted. I never did get a chance to read it but now I will! : )

Journal Entry 8 by Casperette from Brainerd, Minnesota USA on Sunday, July 18, 2004
Not a favorite for me from Grisham. While the story outline on the back cover had me wanting to read this for some time... once into it I found it not to be the typical delightful read that Grisham usually provides for me.
I truly believe that some books need to be read at the right time to be fully appreciated. I do believe this is probably a very good book and perhaps life for me right now is just too hectic for me to fully sink in and enjoy it.
Grisham as usual "paints" (no pun intended) a good background to his story, with characters who are written as real. I think the timeline was just wrong for me.

Journal Entry 9 by raquelsita from Camarillo, California USA on Wednesday, July 28, 2004
Oh Lord...I've heard stories of having 3 bookrings arrive at once but it's never happened to me....until now! This arrived yesterday; unfortunately I am in the middle of another ring and have another one after that. I promise I will get to this as soon as I can. Classes are ending next week so I should have much more free time to read. Thanks Scarlett17 for sending this out!

Journal Entry 10 by raquelsita from Camarillo, California USA on Tuesday, August 17, 2004
This book just never really grabbed me. It was a pleasant read, but I just didn't feel pulled to it. After a while I had to start wondering how many times Luke was gonna sneak off somewhere and witness something he shouldn't. You'd think maybe he'd learn his lesson after the first few times. Boys will be boys I guess.

This will be off to jeweleee this week.

Journal Entry 11 by jeweleee from Bolton, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, October 04, 2004
Received today, thank you!
I have got a couple of books to read at the moment, so I hope scarlett17 isn't in a rush for it back, if you are, just shout and I'll send it back to you. :)

Journal Entry 12 by jeweleee from Bolton, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 12, 2005
Erk, I'm so sorry I've STILL not read this book, it's next on my TBR pile so I'm hoping to get it on its way in the next week or two. :)

Journal Entry 13 by jeweleee from Bolton, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 25, 2005
I got about 60 pages into the book and it's not really grabbing me, unfortunately. I did look forward to reading this but I guess I'm just used to Grisham doing thrillers so this was a bit of a disappointment for me. Will post back to Scarlett17 soon.

Journal Entry 14 by Scarlett17 from Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 24, 2005
My bookring is home! Thanks to all participants for helping this book make its round-the-world trip successfully.

Journal Entry 15 by Scarlett17 from Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 22, 2005
Since I now have a second copy of this book, I shall send this one off on its travels again, this time in niccijl's bookbox.

Journal Entry 16 by ScottishHoosier on Thursday, November 03, 2005
This is the first book I've ever taken from a bookbox! I'm replacing it with A Party in San Niccolo by Christobel Kent, BCID 3001196.

Journal Entry 17 by ScottishHoosier at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 20, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (9/20/2007 UTC) at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

Finished reading this last night. It was an easy book to get stuck in to. It has been a while since I've read John Grisham as his books got to be too much of the same. This one is completely different, except there are a couple of murders and threats.

This little seven-year-old boy sees too much from being too curious. Fortunately it doesn't kill him like it did the cat.

I think it would be possible for a follow-on, but I don't know if Grisham is interested in such things. Plus, it might be a big stretch for such a boy to discover such things in the big city.

Journal Entry 18 by wingbelmontcafewing from Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 20, 2007
20.9.07 obcz

Journal Entry 19 by wingbelmontcafewing at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, October 19, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (10/19/2007 UTC) at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

picked up.

Journal Entry 20 by wingbelmontcafewing from Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 03, 2009
4.3.09

Journal Entry 21 by wingbelmontcafewing from Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 18, 2009
16.4.09

Journal Entry 22 by wingbelmontcafewing at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 09, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (7/9/2009 UTC) at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

picked up