The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry (movie tie-in)

A library is a hospital for yo
by Gabrielle Zevin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingQueen72wing of Hobbs, New Mexico USA on 10/31/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingQueen72wing from Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
I purchased this book from the Books Again book store for an extra release copy. Here is my original review:

This story gave me a book hang over. It's about a widowed bookstore owner, A.J. Fikry, who finds love again. He owns Island Books and one day a customer leaves something in his store that changes his life forever. Hint, it's not a book! This book will stay with me for a long time to come.

10/31/23 update:
I recently watched the movie that’s depicted on the cover and I enjoyed it so much!

“You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question, What is your favorite book?”
― Gabrielle Zevin, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

“The words you can’t find, you borrow.
We read to know we’re not alone. We read because we are alone. We read and we are not alone. We are not alone.
My life is in these books, he wants to tell her. Read these and know my heart.
We are not quite novels.
The analogy he is looking for is almost there.
We are not quite short stories. At this point, his life is seeming closest to that.
In the end, we are collected works.”
― Gabrielle Zevin, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

Journal Entry 2 by wingQueen72wing at Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Released 6 mos ago (10/31/2023 UTC) at Hobbs, New Mexico USA

Journal Entry 3 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, November 6, 2023
I love the description of a "book hang over"... that is one hang over I'm looking forward to having!

Journal Entry 4 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, March 20, 2024
Books like this are why I read! It was an all-encompassing human experience.
After its beautiful ending, I wasn't quite ready to leave Alice Island so decided to watch the movie immediately (I felt it was a sped up version that lost some of the nuance of the written word, though true enough to the book).

This will be accompanying me to the BC Convention in Tampere, as it is on an attendee's wishlist.

Journal Entry 5 by wingechodewing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 13, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

This book is on an attendee's wishlist, here at the 2024 BC Convention in Tampere.
Enjoy, meganh!

Journal Entry 6 by wingmeganhwing at Preston, Victoria Australia on Friday, April 19, 2024
Thak you very much for this wishlist book echode. Lovely to meet you tonight and am very interested in this book after I see you rated it 10*

Journal Entry 7 by wingmeganhwing at Preston, Victoria Australia on Saturday, April 27, 2024
A romantic and sad story which gave us lots of morals about life and love. A J Fikry is a grumpy young bookseller whose life is impacted first by the death of his wife, then the disappearance of his valuable Poe manuscript and then the surprise left for him in his bookstore.
I like the lessons we were given through the book quotes at the beginning of each chapter, and the way the story and the characters developed towards a sad conclusion. Simply written, but insightful and thought provoking.
Thank you for sharing this book with me echode.

Released 3 wks ago (4/30/2024 UTC) at -- Somewhere in Helsinki / Jossain päin kaupunkia in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Left at Temppeliaukio Church on the rooftop rocks.

To the finder of this book -
Please let me and previous readers know it is in safe hands by journalling that you have caught it; you are under no obligation to read it.
Bookcrossing is completely free and anonymous and members have been releasing books all over the world for more than 20 years.
If you choose to become a member you will also be able to follow this book’s future story.