Easter Island

by Jennifer Vanderbes | History |
Registered by wingJ4Shawwing of finding my place, Somewhere -- Controlled Releases on 1/6/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4Shawwing from finding my place, Somewhere -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 6, 2023
Received via paperbackswap.com

About the book:
It is 1913. Elsa Pendleton travels from England to Easter Island with her husband, an anthropologist sent by the Royal Geographical Society to study the colossal moai statues, and her younger sister. What begins as familial duty for Elsa becomes a grand adventure; on Easter Island she discovers her true calling. But, out of contact with the outside world, she is unaware that World War I has been declared and that a German naval squadron, fleeing the British across the South Pacific, is heading toward the island she now considers home.

Sixty years later, Dr. Greer Farraday, an American botanist, travels to Easter Island to research the island's ancient pollen, but more important, to put back the pieces of her life after the death of her husband.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4Shawwing at Mold, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, January 9, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (1/9/2023 UTC) at Mold, Wales United Kingdom

Read for the 666 for 2023 reading challenge
My Review:
I do enjoy reading books set on islands. Takes me back to my time living in Kiribati back in 2014/15.
This was a highly engrossing novel - a blend of fact and fiction according to the author’s note.
I enjoyed this greatly.
Authors From Unusual Countries - Round 2 for 2022 reading challenge
Book set in Easter Island, however the author is American.

Journal Entry 3 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 12, 2023
Received in an awesome Authors from Unusual Countries sweepstake parcel. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 21, 2023
I loved this. I liked the blend of the two stories and was equally interested in both threads - which is not always the case with two strands set in different times. I liked that you weren't quite sure what happened in some parts. Thanks for this one. I'll probably keep for a bookbox or sweeps.

Journal Entry 5 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 21, 2023

Journal Entry 6 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (3/6/2023 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to the winner of the global sweeps. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, March 20, 2023
Thanks bookfrogster, for this book, I like receiving books people liked!

Journal Entry 8 by wingestelle1806wing at LFL - Clonsilla (D15) in Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, March 3, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/3/2024 UTC) at LFL - Clonsilla (D15) in Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland

Please let us know when you release it again...