Sense and Sensibility

by Jane Austen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by EvaLowrain of Louisville, Kentucky USA on 5/19/2004
Journal Entry 1 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Wednesday, May 19, 2004
I enjoyed it and remember I stayed up all night reading it, but frankly, it didn't stick with me. I guess I don't know enough about Austen. Thus far, her books blend in my mind and I can't remember which I've read and which I haven't. I'm kinda hoping other people's comments will enlighten me.

Journal Entry 2 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, May 23, 2004
Bookring:
mahogny, "We're doing fine, Oklahoma ... OK!"
laurarn, also OK
i0xi0x
tnelson99, MO
hotflash, Arizona (AR?)
<-- Bookring completed!

Journal Entry 3 by mahogny from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Saturday, May 29, 2004
I recieved it today, and I plan on starting it as soon as my son gets settled into his nap! Hopefully with the long weekend, I'll be able to finish it!

Journal Entry 4 by mahogny from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, June 01, 2004
I truly enjoyed this book. This was my first Jane Austen, and I didn't really know what to expect. It did take me awhile (several chapters) to get into the full understanding of the use of language (afterall, it is 200 years old!) but once I got further into the book, it was a cinch to read and to understand.

Some thoughts:

On the subject of characters, what surprised me was how little people have changed in 200 years! Guys can be jerks to women (a la Willoughby), women can be catty and cutting to each other (Lucy), and people can be fickle in terms of love (Lucy, Edward).

Willoughby got what he deserved. I know Elinor was saying "poor Willoughby" at the end, but I was saying, "serves him right!"

One thing that disturbed this contemporary gal, though, was the drive of all the girls in the story to get married! There didn't seem to be the drive from the men! But many of the women were desperate to marry money, someone upper class, etc etc. Everybody's first thought at seeing a woman show interest in a man was that they are (or should be) engaged. Yes, I know this was the thinking 200 years ago, but it makes a very noticable theme in today's mindset!

And it seemed many of the women in the story married people they didn't really love, and vice versa. For example, I'll never see what the Palmers saw in each other, as well as the Middletons. H'mmm, on second thought, maybe it's not all women who didn't marry for love, but just Mrs. Jennings' daughters!

Jane Austen has a sarcastic and satiracal sense of humor, which I found wonderful! I wasn't expecting the book to be as outwardly humorous as it was! Mrs. Jennings and Sir John had me cracking up, perhaps because people with their behaviors still exist 200 years later. I loved her descriptions of Mrs. Ferrars, and how she kept disowning and then re-owning her sons.

It seemed to me very obvious which of the traits of sense and sensibility Ms. Austen valued more.

Thanks so much for sharing your book! I'll email the next person on the list!

Journal Entry 5 by mahogny from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, June 10, 2004
Delivering to LauraRN today!

Journal Entry 6 by amoenus from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma USA on Friday, June 11, 2004
recieved from another bookcrosser in a book ring. Will begin to read tomorrow.

***Updated 6/28/04***
I really enjoyed reading this book, I love Jane Austen's style. The attitudes of the female characters seem out of date on the surface, but really the attitudes are not uncommon today-they just show at a little older age. Very Good read, Thank you For making the ring available.
***Mailing to ioxiox tomorrow per Evaloraine request.**

Journal Entry 7 by amoenus from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, July 06, 2004
mailed today to i0xi0x

Journal Entry 8 by i0xi0x from Youngstown, Ohio USA on Monday, July 12, 2004
I just got this in the mail today. I have put it into my "priority reading" pile and I will get to it very soon. Thanks very much for sharing this with me!

Journal Entry 9 by i0xi0x from Youngstown, Ohio USA on Friday, July 23, 2004
This was my first Austen book and I pretty much agree with what has been said above. It took me many chapters to fully appreciate the difference in writing style. Often the way the characters were addressed was confusing since there were two Miss Dashwoods and two Miss Steeles, etc. What did stick with me though was also how little society has changed. Austen plays into the stereotypes of men and their "play" with love. She also has the very typical "catty girl" in Lucy Steele. The sisters also fit into the stereotypical family.

I really did enjoy this book and I have others of Austen's that I am now looking forward to reading. Thank you very much to EvaLowrain for sharing this book with me!

I have PMed tnelson99 for an address and I will send this out as soon as it is received.

Journal Entry 10 by i0xi0x at on Tuesday, July 27, 2004
Released on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 at BookRing in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Sent to tnelson99 today by media mail.

Journal Entry 11 by tnelson99 from Festus, Missouri USA on Tuesday, August 03, 2004
Received this the other day and will start it as soon as I finish the one I'm currently reading.....

Journal Entry 12 by tnelson99 from Festus, Missouri USA on Monday, August 30, 2004
Am sending it on to 'hotflash' as soon as I get the address. Couldnt really get into this book....tried several times......THANKS!

Journal Entry 13 by LynnWrites from Tucson, Arizona USA on Saturday, September 04, 2004
Just found Sense and Sensibility in my mailbox!! Have to get to this month's book club selection, but S&S will be next. I seem to be the last stop on the ring, so I shouldn't hold anyone up. Looking forward to this one - thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 14 by LynnWrites from Tucson, Arizona USA on Sunday, September 19, 2004
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Thank you EvaLowrain for sharing.
What completely fascinated me was a book about society's nuances in the late 1700s, which was actually written by someone living in that time (rather than a modern-day author's imaginings of the 1700s). Austen's writing also presented interesting examples of how our English language has evolved: "shewed" instead of "showed"; "stopt" rather than "stopped"; "chuse" has evolved to "choose"; "twelvemonth" is now "one year". The subtle, civil, tongue-in-cheek humor was also a pleasant surprise; however, on occasion, the formality of the language--the "discourse"--would have me re-reading a section for clarity.

It was so hard to be a woman in this time period. Not being able to either inherit property or have a real place in society without marriage, life was all about making the right match, and it had to be made very young, while 'the bloom' was still fresh. I found the idle lifestyle of the upper middle class to be extremely shallow and boring, and many of the characters (Lucy, Willoughby) to be sadly self-serving. I think that having to constantly ingratiate yourself to people you neither like nor respect for personal gain, to move up in society, would be stifling (today as much as then). Spending endless evenings in mindless 'discourse' with boring hosts, with whom you have nothing in common but the fact that they might be able to open the right doors for you to help you find an acceptable mate, would be excruciating and impossible for most of today's young, out-spoken woman. I think we could borrow a bit of the 1700's civility and politeness, but I was horrified by their mercenary, cold-blooded approach to choosing a spouse. I wonder how many people were locked into miserable, unhappy, but profitable, marriages.
I loved the intrigue of the relationships and really enjoyed Elinor. I was thrilled at the story's ending! True love wins out!
I will be sending this book back to EvaLowrain this week - I was the last reader on the ring.

Journal Entry 15 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, September 26, 2004
Thanks everybody, for participating in the bookring. Miss Austen is home safe and sound!

Journal Entry 16 by EvaLowrain at bus (see release notes for details) in Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (10/31/2006 UTC) at bus (see release notes for details) in Louisville, Kentucky USA

Released on a downtown bus about a week ago.