Humankind

BookCrossing Convention Falkir
by Rutger Bregman | History |
Registered by wingechodewing of Seattle, Washington USA on 12/6/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingechodewing from Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, December 6, 2023
Purchased from BWB , to send in 2024's roundabout.

Shipping order as of January 7th, 2024:
mathgirl40
djf1968

*****************************

Blurb:
It's a belief that unites the left and right, psychologists and philosophers, writers and historians. It drives the headlines that surround us and the laws that touch our lives. From Machiavelli to Hobbes, Freud to Dawkins, the roots of this belief have sunk deep into Western thought. Human beings, we're taught, are by nature selfish and governed by self-interest.

Humankind makes a new argument: that it is realistic, as well as revolutionary, to assume that people are good. The instinct to cooperate rather than compete, trust rather than distrust, has an evolutionary basis going right back to the beginning of Homo sapiens. By thinking the worst of others, we bring out the worst in our politics and economics too.

In this major book, internationally bestselling author Rutger Bregman takes some of the world's most famous studies and events and reframes them, providing a new perspective on the last 200,000 years of human history. From the real-life Lord of the Flies to the Blitz, a Siberian fox farm to an infamous New York murder, Stanley Milgram's Yale shock machine to the Stanford prison experiment, Bregman shows how believing in human kindness and altruism can be a new way to think – and act as the foundation for achieving true change in our society.

It is time for a new view of human nature.

My reading tendencies run dark; my outlook on the human race is generally negative. So this book was a heartening and welcomed surprise!
A very uplifting rebuttal to all the cynicism of what it means to be a "realist". For every example of human depravity, Bregman points to the actual opposite that went unreported or buried because of sensationalism, or because our survival-of-the-friendliest trait of sociability is not infallible.

Journal Entry 2 by wingechodewing at By hand, A friend -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Released 4 mos ago (1/17/2024 UTC) at By hand, A friend -- Controlled Releases

Handing this to 39301 over some Portuguese bites.
I hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, January 17, 2024
Thank you @echode! It was a lovely evening of tapas and great company!!

Journal Entry 4 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Wow, what an enlightening book about the positivity of humankind. This will probably be in my top reads of 2024!
The 10 rules to live by is thought-provoking. I have already engaged in rule #7: "avoid the news." I would add that I quit Facebook and other social media years ago and I have never looked back. I do engage in long articles so I remain connected to what's going on in the world...
Thanks so much @echode for your choice! I am going to propose this book for my book club.

Journal Entry 5 by wing39301wing at Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 1, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (2/1/2024 UTC) at Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Off to @valpete in California.

Journal Entry 6 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (3/6/2024 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Wow! This was quite a tome! It certainly gave me a lot to think about. The author urges us through many stories and examples to be more kind, more generous and to expect the best from others. I have found myself looking at people and situations lately in terms of this book. Thanks for including it in the Roundabout! I would never have read it otherwise and feel it may have a profound effect on my actions going forward. Onward to a more kinder, gentler world!
Sending it along to the next reader.

Journal Entry 7 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, March 15, 2024
Arrived this morning.

Journal Entry 8 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 10, 2024
VERY interesting, companheiro.

Released 1 mo ago (4/10/2024 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posting to the next in line.

Journal Entry 10 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 17, 2024
Received- thank you.

Journal Entry 11 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 3, 2024
Yay! This is why I love this roundabout so much. There is no way I'd have picked this book up of my own volition - had never even heard of it - but it ticked absolutely every single once of my boxes. I hadn't actually finished my last book, but had left in inconveniently in another room, so just picked this up to read the introduction, which is all about the Blitz in both London and Germany, and how both sides thought that bombing civilians would negatively effect moral, even when it was proved to be having the opposite effect - was immediately hooked and read it in just a few days (and it's a big book!).

Weirdly, I've just read the 'Science of the Discworld' Trilogy and the last two volumes deal with some of the same issues - how humans have evolved to be friendly, co-operative and kind, but somehow see each other as self-serving, untrustworthy and out for just what we can get.

There's a lot to make you think and reassess a few things - and I loved the fact that it backed up my decision ages ago to stop watching the news when I noticed how angry, upset and anxious it made me - especially when you realise just how one sided and sensationalised it can be.

I'm genuinely not sure how else to review this book other than to highly recommend it - and if that's not enough, as proof of how much I think of it, I have ordered my own copy to share amongst friends and family. It really should be required reading!