The Verifiers

Hello and Congratulations!
by Jane Pek | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingMmeClintonwing of South Berwick, Maine USA on 6/14/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Friday, June 14, 2024
Review: The Verifiers (Claudia Lin) This is another of my Tailored Book Recommendations (gift subscription from my daughter!). "We've asked [tech companies] for map apps to tell us where to go and ride-hailing apps to get us there, banking apps to pay our bills, meal-delivery apps to feed us, content-streaming apps to entertain us. Dating apps to find love? In exchange we open up our lives to them so they can learn how to make even more money from us." This was definitely a stretch read for me. It is a mystery of sorts, set in New York City (the quote seems to fit that, right?), narrated by a young Asian American woman (and her family dynamics play into the story, of course) trying to find her own independent way in the work world, and somehow she ends up at Veracity, which touts itself as a company to help you determine if your online "date" is in fact telling you lies. So far so good. However, the book is SO steeped in dating app terminology that I often found myself floundering. Plenty of red herrings as Claudia becomes convinced the declared suicide of one of their clients is in fact foul play. There is a little bit of this and a little bit of that thrown in that makes me feel the book is trying too hard to be up-to-date with all the issues of the day rather than create a really mesmerizing murder mystery, and that was distracting for me as to the flow and style of the tale. The actual solution felt forced and unsatisfactory as well. On the other hand, I felt I was learning new things about a modern world that is becoming more and more difficult for me to understand, as an older person not so conversant with the digital world. All the admiring author quotes make me feel that the book would be much more engrossing that it actually was... and perhaps this has more to do with my experiences than with any shortcomings of the book.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMmeClintonwing at When Pigs Fly Company Store And Pizzeria in Kittery, Maine USA on Friday, June 14, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (6/15/2024 UTC) at When Pigs Fly Company Store And Pizzeria in Kittery, Maine USA

on the bench near the entrances

Journal Entry 3 by ACrovenIsBorn at Kittery, Maine USA on Sunday, June 16, 2024
Found on a bench outside When Pigs Fly’s bakery shop in Kittery, ME while visiting family. It has accompanied me back to Salem, MA, where I’m looking forward to reading it and re-releasing it!