City in Ruins

Hello and Congratulations!
by Don Winslow | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 006307947X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingMmeClintonwing of South Berwick, Maine USA on 5/20/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Monday, May 20, 2024
Review: City in Ruins (Danny Ryan #3) by Don Winslow. So, I have finally finished this trilogy, with the final volume which I acquired when I went to a Music Hall Lounge event where Don Winslow was presenting it. I was much impressed (as I usually am by authors!) and decided that, even if this category of novels isn't among my favorites, I would like to read it. Yes, it (all three) is/are full of violence... after all, it is set in the world of gangsters, and that will be enough for me for a decade or so! But Winslow knows how to create tension, built enormously complicated multiple plots, and make the reader care deeply about a character. Our Danny, having fled for his life at the end of Book 1, suffering but granted grace at the end of Book 2 (because, as one is convinced by that point, he is a good man at heart caught in a mess of a world) ,is a successful Las Vegas businessman in Book 3. He wants most of all to be creative, kind, and a good father to his son Ian. But a rivalry devolves into misery, as the two principals end up living a nightmare because other players step in to reignite tensions for their own twisted reasons. There are a couple of subplots dealing with old characters from the original Providence wars, and towards the end especially, the reader is jumping back and forth among the ongoing dramas, but Winslow's skill as a writer means that one is never lost in the reading. Who would think I would almost be in tears at the end?

Released 3 wks ago (5/24/2024 UTC) at When Pigs Fly Company Store And Pizzeria in Kittery, Maine USA

on the bench near the entrances