This is the Night They Come For You

by Robert Goddard | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingengelsmanwing of Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 10/27/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingengelsmanwing from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, October 27, 2022

The cover text reads:

On a stifling afternoon at Police HQ in Algiers, Superintendent Taleb, with not even an air-conditioned office to show for his long years of service, is handed a ticking time bomb of a case which will take him deep into Algeria's troubled past and its fraught relationship with France.

To his dismay, he is assigned to work with Agent Hidouchi, an intimidating representative of the country's feared secret service, who makes it clear she intends to call the shots. They are instructed to pursue a runaway former agent, but their search will lead them towards a greater mystery, surrounding a murder that took place in Paris more than fifty years before.

Soon, Taleb will face a choice he has long sought to avoid, between self-preservation and doing the right thing. And, ultimately, the choice may note even be his to make.

I downloaded an audiobook of Goddard's The Fine Art of Invisible Detection on a whim last year to while away a long car journey, and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I was eager to read this one when I saw it in my local bookshop.

This is the Night They Come for You is set in the Algeria of today, and Algeria at the time of independence, which I knew nothing about, so that already makes it interesting. The two main characters represent the rival camps of the Algerian police and intelligence forces, neither of which trusts the other. The fugitive they seek was once a shadowy actor in Algerian independence against the French colonial power, and retains powerful connections.

All in all, a very enjoyable and satisfying read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingengelsmanwing at Kapper Eric, Ketelboetersteeg in Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, February 24, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (2/24/2024 UTC) at Kapper Eric, Ketelboetersteeg in Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

left under the reading table