A Room Made of Leaves

by Kate Grenville | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by mattandmandy75 of Cockatoo, Victoria Australia on 9/28/2022
Journal Entry 1 by mattandmandy75 from Cockatoo, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, September 28, 2022
What if Elizabeth Macarthur-wife of the notorious John Macarthur, wool baron in the earliest days of Sydney-had written a shockingly frank secret memoir? And what if novelist Kate Grenville had miraculously found and published it? That's the starting point for A Room Made of Leaves, a playful dance of possibilities between the real and the invented.

Marriage to a ruthless bully, the impulses of her heart, the search for power in a society that gave women none: this Elizabeth Macarthur manages her complicated life with spirit and passion, cunning and sly wit. Her memoir lets us hear-at last!-what one of those seemingly demure women from history might really have thought.

At the centre of A Room Made of Leaves is one of the most toxic issues of our own age: the seductive appeal of false stories. This book may be set in the past, but it's just as much about the present, where secrets and lies have the dangerous power to shape reality.

Journal Entry 2 by mattandmandy75 at Redgum Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (10/6/2022 UTC) at Redgum Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book:

Please journal that you’ve found me, read and re-release. I’d love to follow the book’s journey. Bookcrossing is free & fun and let’s face it, not much is these days! :)

Journal Entry 3 by AnonymousFriend at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Thursday, October 6, 2022
What if Elizabeth Macarthur - wife of the notorious John Macarthur, wool baron in early Sydney - had written a shockingly frank secret memoir?
My house at school was Macarthur named after this lady, so this will be doubly interesting.