Red Tent, The

by Anita Diamant | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0312195516 Global Overview for this book
Registered by jenvince of Scottsdale, Arizona USA on 5/16/2004
Journal Entry 1 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Sunday, May 16, 2004
Got at a book sale - proceeds went to Operation Gratitude (care packages for soldiers overseas).

To be read.

From amazon.com:
Her name is Dinah. In the Bible, her life is only hinted at in a brief and violent detour within the more familiar chapters of the Book of Genesis that are about her father, Jacob, and his dozen sons. Told in Dinah's voice, this novel reveals the traditions and turmoils of ancient womanhood—the world of the red tent. It begins with the story of her mothers—Leah, Rachel, Zilpah, and Bilhah—the four wives of Jacob. They love Dinah and give her gifts that sustain her through a hard-working youth, a calling to midwifery, and a new home in a foreign land. Dinah's story reaches out from a remarkable period of early history and creates an intimate connection with the past. Deeply affecting, The Red Tent combines rich storytelling with a valuable achievement in modern fiction: a new view of biblical women's society.

Journal Entry 2 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Friday, July 02, 2004
This is reserved in order to re-start titacookie's stalled bookring.

The orignal bookring can be found here.

I'm going to read it, then send it on to Marlene-TC.

Journal Entry 3 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Thursday, July 22, 2004
Very interesting story!

Sending today to Marlene-TC.

Journal Entry 4 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 27, 2004
Hi Jenvince. I want to tell you how nice this is of you. To send this big trade paperback to me is one thing, but to send it global priority!!!!!!!!!! wow!!

I have heard so much good about this book.Thanks Titacookie and Jenvince

After I,ve finished the book, I will let you know my thoughts and I will keep the good karma going.

Journal Entry 5 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, August 13, 2004
received this book from Marlene TC who made it a dutch bookring. I'm eager to read it, because it's one of the bookcrossers most favourite.

Journal Entry 6 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, August 13, 2004
Oops I was to late or riemke to fast, but I quess it is me being slow :-), to make a release note.

Ok.

This Is indeed going to be a Bookring.
I have still enough books TBR and I know a lot of people want to read this book.

The order of the Ring

owlet
monalisaa
Olifant
Suzy26
Naar mij terug (book there now)

Enjoy Riemke

Journal Entry 7 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, August 13, 2004
sorry for being so fast :-))I was already looking forward to this book. just taping the edges of the cover a bit, so that it will survive the whole ring. and now I'm gonna make a cup of tea and read it :-)

Journal Entry 8 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, August 17, 2004
I liked this book. It tells a well-known biblical story from another point of view. it's in the line of theJean Auel books and the books of Marion Bradley. With emphasis on the life of women in old cultures.

Released on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 at Enjoy! in Controlled Release, Given to a fellow bookcrosser Controlled Releases.

sent it to MaaikeB today. hope you like it too.

Journal Entry 10 by MaaikeB from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, August 19, 2004
Got the book in the mail today. Thanks. I'll read it ASAP, but there are more rings that need my attention...

Journal Entry 11 by MaaikeB from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, September 13, 2004
Loved the book. The blooddrenched story of Dinah and her relatives kept me awake for a long time yesterday. I had to finish it. I'll continue my travels through the world of the Bible with the book De Arkvaarders (In the Shadow of the Ark) by Anne Provoost which deals with Noach and his family. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by wingjanna2wing from Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, September 20, 2004
I engaged in the bookring because people were enthousiast about it and the subject of the book is a totally unknown woman (for me). I look forward to start reading, but it has to wait a week or two.

Journal Entry 13 by wingjanna2wing from Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, September 25, 2004
The book didn't had to wait for two weeks. I started reading the day before yesterday en yesterday evening I finished it. I liked it very much, especially because of the descriptions of the red tent and what happens there, the solidarity between women. I found something of this spere when I was in a hamman in Syria. A world of women: they were talking, eating, relaxing, educating the children, and so on. Next week I will send it on to Owlet.

Journal Entry 14 by anness from Zuiddorpe, Zeeland Netherlands on Thursday, October 07, 2004
Janna2 sent this book to me first, for Owlets lack of time. I can start reading on Tuesday next week.

Journal Entry 15 by anness from Zuiddorpe, Zeeland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 24, 2004
sorry for keeping it so long on my table, but after starting I've finished reading in a short time.
Very interesting and original. 'Caprafutuanten'were unknown to me until the dead of Theo van Gogh and now I read about this fenomenon in the cultural context.
I'll send this book tomorrow to Owlet.

Journal Entry 16 by owlet from Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Monday, November 29, 2004
It happened again: two bookrings falling on my doormat on the same morning :-)
I wanted to read this book out of curiousity; I saw it so often on the "recently released" and "recently caught" fields and during a long time, it was the most registered book on Bookcrossing. Am looking forward to it, with all the enthusiastic journal entries!

Journal Entry 17 by owlet from Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Monday, January 24, 2005
Wow, I really liked this book, especially the first part where Dinah tells the story of herself, her mothers, father and brothers and describes the daily life in those days. What I find strange, is how her elder brothers changed so much without her really noticing (or telling), because the events following her meeting with Shalem were absolutely horrifying! When do boys turn into murdering men like that?

In my opinion, the first part (about Dinah growing up) is much more elaborate than the second part, in Egypt, where many years go by without much detail. The only thing that bothered me slightly was the amount of child deliveries (and miscarriages etc) described, that was just a little too much, but of course, it was a very important thing in a midwife's life :-)

All in all, a very enjoyable read, not difficult at all to follow and interesting. I have even read the section in the bible about Jacob and his children, out of curiosity! The name Dinah is indeed cited only twice or three times. I'm going to send the book on to monalisaa as soon as I have her address.

January 28, 2005: The book is on its way to The Hague!

Journal Entry 18 by monalisaa from Rijswijk (ZH), Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, January 31, 2005
This book was in the mailbox about a week ago, but I'm so busy with the International Film Festival Rotterdam that until now I didn't have time to a note.
Thanks, Owlet, for sending the book to me. I'm looking forward at reading it.

Journal Entry 19 by monalisaa from Rijswijk (ZH), Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, February 12, 2005
The first part of this book was too much softness and sisterhood for me, and, worse, to many dreadfull childbirths. But the second and third part I found quite interesting, and a pleasant read.

Journal Entry 20 by monalisaa from Rijswijk (ZH), Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, March 23, 2005
Today I finally posted this book to Olifant. Hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 21 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, March 24, 2005
Book has safely arrived in Utrecht, together with The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor. And... a playing card with Mona Lisa on the backside, a really personal note :-)

Journal Entry 22 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 28, 2005
Fear not, the time is coming
Fear not, your bones are strong
Fear not, help is nearby
Fear not, Gula is near
Fear not, the baby is at the door,
Fear not, he will live to bring you honor
Fear not, the hands of the midwife are clever
Fear not, the earth is beneath you
Fear not, we have water and salt
Fear not, little mother
Fear not, mother of us all

An interesting read! Story from the Old Testament ‘retold’ through the eyes of Dinah, daughter of Leah and Jacob and the only sister of twelve brothers. Sad, horrible at moments, but also full of love and compassion. And to have Meryt as a friend... that is a gift for Dinah. Thanks for sharing. Will send the book to Suzy26 tomorrow.

Journal Entry 23 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, March 30, 2005
What a surprise to find this book in my mailbox! I didnot know that it was my turn already. Thanks Olifant and Marlene-TC.

Journal Entry 24 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, April 14, 2005
What an interesting take on a bible story, all from a female perspective. It is a story full of drama, deaths and childbirths. It definitely wasnot easy to be a woman in those days, but then there was the red tent where the women of the community took care of each other for three days every month. What a wonderful feat of solidarity among women!
I cannot begin to imagine what it must feel like when your brothers decide to kill your lover in order to defend the family honour. This is how Dinah expressed her anger:

p.206: "Jacob", I said in a voice that echoed like thunder, "Jacob", I hissed, in the voice of the serpent who sheds life and still lives, "Jacob", I howled, and the moon vanished.

Journal Entry 25 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, April 15, 2005
Book is on its way to Marlene-TC.

Journal Entry 26 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 16, 2005
and it's back to me.
I am happy that most of the 8 ring readers, if not all :-) loved the book.
I am nearly done with the book I am reading now,and then this will be next.
Really looking forward. Read the first 2 pages and like how it is written so far.
Thanks Jen and suzy for sending this to me.

Journal Entry 27 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, May 01, 2005
Read it and enjoyed the read.
I think I will wild release this book if its alright with you Jen?
I will have to find a spot where I know people will come that also love to read English books.
I think I know such a place so next time i go to haarlem or another city I am planning on wild releasing it.

if you prefer me not doing it, let me know.

Thanks Jen and titacookie for giving us the opportunity to read this book

Released 14 yrs ago (5/4/2005 UTC) at Grand café op de binnenweg hoek provincienlaan in Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands

I am trying to find a good place for this and will go to Heemstede in 1 minute. There is a grand cafe I have never visited but seems like a good place to release

Really hope this book will be registered and keep up the good karma

16.15
Given to the lady at the Blue Tulip cafe there.
Now keep my fingers crossed that it will be registered even if it is anomynous

Journal Entry 29 by wingEnitnajwing from Tilburg, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Thursday, May 05, 2005
We hebben er een ware familie-aangelegenheid van gemaakt! Ik las op internet waar het boek werd vrijgelaten. Vanwege de Engelse titel leek het me wel wat voor mijn zus, die Engels studeert. Bij verdere bestudering kwam ik er achter dat het voor mijzelf ook een interessant boek is, ik ben theologe.
Aangezien ikzelf in Tilburg woon, maar mijn ouders en zus in Heemstede is er druk heen en weer gebeld, en daarom ligt het boek nu klaar om door ons gelezen te gaan worden!
De eerste keer dat ik een boek "vind"! Hardstikke leuk!

This was a true family-activity! I saw on the internet that this book was released, thought it to be interesting for my sister, who studies English. After more reading in the journal I even discovered that it will be very interesting for me too, because I'm a theologian!
Since I live in Tilburg, I phoned to my parents and sister, who live in Heemstede, to try and catch the book. They succeeded!
This is my first-ever found book and I'm thrilled!

Journal Entry 30 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Zo, na een weekje vakantie heb ik gisteravond het boek uitgelezen!
Geweldig, ik heb er van genoten! Mooi verhaal, mooi verteld, verrassend als je het leest met de bijbelverhalen in je achterhoofd...Ben echt blij dat ik dit boek heb gevonden.
Ik breng m nu weer naar mijn zus, die wil m ook graag lezen, dus het blijft nog even TBR..!

After a one-week holiday, I finally finished the book yesterday-evening!
I really enjoyed reading it! Beautiful story, beautifully told, surprising when you read it with the biblical stories in mind... I'm really glad that I found this book.
Now I will return it to my sister, she wants to read it too, so for now it remains TBR...!

Journal Entry 31 by wingEnitnajwing from Tilburg, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Oke, foutje, niet ingelogd...die anonieme ben ik dus gewoon...

Oops, mistake, this "anonymous" is simply me...

Journal Entry 32 by wingEnitnajwing from Tilburg, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Zus is lid geworden (HOERA!) dus nu zet ik de boeken die bij haar liggen op haar naam!

My sister finally joined the club, so now I'm moving this book to her bookshelf!

Journal Entry 33 by Enirod from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Het boek ligt al weken (maanden...) op mijn nachtkastje, to be read, maar ja, druk druk druk...
Ik ga het echt nog lezen!!!

This book has been beside my bed for weeks (months...), to be read, but you know how things are...
I'm really going to read it!!!!

Journal Entry 34 by wingEnitnajwing from Tilburg, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, March 02, 2008
This book made it back to me...for a special purpose. There's this tv-program about reading and I'll probably appear to tell something about Bookcrossing. They asked me to bring a book with a story. The difficult thing with BC is that most books travel on, after being read, so it's kind of a problem to bring a book with a story. Fortunately my sister is far too busy for reading, so this book got stuck on her shelf. And it's got a nice BC-story, since it was the first book (and so far only) I actually hunted, although it took some effort from my mother and sister as well...
After the tv-show appearance the book will travel back to my sisters shelf, because she still wants to read it...(and she'll finish her studies next May, so probably she'll read it soon :-))

Released 10 yrs ago (5/1/2009 UTC) at Menara Kuala Lumpur in Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

At the observation deck!