Peeps

by Scott Westerfeld | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/10/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 10, 2022
I got this softcover from Better World Books, for another release copy.

I found this book very enjoyable, and often surprising. The story itself went in directions I didn't expect, with some scary bits and some funny bits to leaven the mix, and the alternating-chapter format intersperses info about real-world parasites whose behavior is similar to that of some of the critters in the fictional portion. And I was delighted with the author's version of the how and why of vampirism; it's probably not the first book to theorize a medical basis for vampirism, but it took a delightfully unexpected twist on the idea. (It explains a lot of things about cats, too!) Side note: the book's been published as Parasite Positive in other countries, so don't assume that's a new book in the series.

I also enjoyed the semi-sequel The Last Days, which is set in the same world but focuses on a different set of characters.

There's a bibliography at the end of the book, which enticed me into picking up two of the books listed there, Parasite Rex and Rats. [It would have been three, but I'd already read another, Bitten!] Oh, and there's a very amusing cartoon/review of Peeps on the wonderful "Unshelved" comic-strip site (see the review here). This Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal strip deals with the parasite/behavior cycle in a funny/gory way...

There's a TV Tropes page for the book, but do beware of spoilers.

Released 1 mo ago (8/11/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, New Searles Rd [OBCZ] in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in my Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2022 One Word Title challenge. ***