A MESSAGE FROM BRUCE: Data Breach
Please read Bruce's important message here (or go to the Announcements forum by your normal route) about stolen BookCrossing data from 2013 and before.

Himself

by Jess Kidd | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/2/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 2, 2022
I got this softcover from a local Savers thrift shop. It's about a man who returns to the remote Irish village where he was born, to try and learn the truth about his parentage and about why he was left on the steps of an orphanage as an infant.

The book opens with a brutal murder - telling the reader at once what happened to Mahony's mother, though not the identity of the killer - and the story weaves other flashbacks with Mahony's own investigations. The story has a mix of supernatural and gritty suspense; Mahony, born with a caul over his face, can see ghosts, and this tends to add elements of humor, poignancy, and sometimes pain.

I found the opening scene so coldly brutal that I almost skipped the rest of the book, but I'm glad I continued. It's a rather lyrical, sometimes touching, tale of people finding their own ways in the world, even when haunted by riddles from the past. And the mystery aspect - which of the many village characters was the killer? Which the father? Were they one and the same, and are they even still living in the area? - worked quite well, to the point where the book repays some re-reading.

While the brutal scenes (more than one murder, plus that poor dog) are very brutal indeed, the overall tone of the story is more upbeat and heartwarming.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Main Street (see notes for details) in Wilton, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 15, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (8/15/2022 UTC) at Main Street (see notes for details) in Wilton, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, near the heron sculpture at Main and Forest; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2022 One Word Title challenge. ***