Hurray! The Bookplate Creator is back!
We've been promising it for a long time, and now it's finally here... We have a brand new Bookplate creator. Read all about it in this Announcement forum post!

Strong Poison

by Dorothy L. Sayers | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 9780062196200 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/30/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 30, 2022
I found this softcover in this Little Free Library in Westford MA while dropping off some books of my own, and was glad of another release copy of this one, which is in the top 3 of my "favorite Sayers novels" list. (While I'd recommend reading the Lord Peter books in chronological order, as some plot elements and relationships develop from book to book, it isn't necessary to have read all the previous books to enjoy this one. However, some of the events here follow directly on those from Clouds of Witness, so you might want to read that one first.)

One of the special qualities of this book: it's the one in which Lord Peter first meets Harriet Vane, whom he will court assiduously for several more books before - but that would be telling, wouldn't it? The story opens as a judge is giving the summation to the jury in a murder trial - Harriet's trial, as it happens; Lord Peter chanced to be in the audience and fell for the lady at once, and is in agonies over the verdict. But the jury can't reach a verdict (thanks in part to the redoubtable Miss Climpson, who has an even more dramatic part to play later in the story) and so Peter has a chance to try and clear the lady's name before the next trial.

Despite the suspenseful circumstances, there's humor, too; the scenes in which Lord Peter's man Bunter coaxes a cook to describe the victim's last meal is very amusing (not least when Lord Peter instructs Bunter to insinuate himself into the bosom of the household and Bunter replies "I shall attempt to insinuate myself to your Lordship's satisfaction." I adore Bunter!).

It's a lively mystery and romance and life-in-Bohemian-London tale, strongly recommended!

[There was a very good made-for-TV adaptation of the novel, starring Edward Petherbridge and Harriet Walter. And the TV Tropes page for the series includes some entertaining tidbits - but do beware of spoilers.]

Released 1 mo ago (10/2/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, New Searles Rd [OBCZ] in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in my Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2022 Spook-tacular challenge. ***