The sharp end

by Gabrielle Lord | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Scarlett17 of Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/15/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Scarlett17 from Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, May 15, 2004
Harry Doyle hoped that his decision to join the Dog Squad would improve the quality of his family life but it hasn't. His wife is having an affair - he can smell it on her - and his elder daughter is troubled. Only his dogs and eight year old Hannah offer any affection and even Hannah is spending more and more time with her bedroom door shut, playing with her computer.
Harry's family disintegrates even further when he is called out to investigate two apparently entirely different murders. His experience and his extraordinary rapport with his dogs combine to offer him clues unobserved by the average detective. He knows the two killings are connected. And the connection is Harry.

Journal Entry 2 by Scarlett17 from Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, June 19, 2004
A forensic crime thriller with a difference, as the police officer here is not a pathologist but a dog handler. I enjoyed this book. The idea is similar enough to other authors, but the dog theme makes it just different enough. The human story of Harry and his family and their growing estrangement doesn't detract from the detective plot, and makes Harry more appealing as a character and not just a lone officer with a dog. His frustration at not being a good enough husband or father was touching, not cloying, although the final solution to the crime was a little contrived.
This book did keep me gripped, and it was an interesting departure from other similar forensic crime thrillers.

Journal Entry 3 by Scarlett17 at The OZone, organic cafe off High St. in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, September 12, 2004

Released 17 yrs ago (9/12/2004 UTC) at The OZone, organic cafe off High St. in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Taking to the Cardiff meet-up

Journal Entry 4 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, September 12, 2004
Picked this up today at the Cardiff Meet from Scarlett17 ;o)

I'm looking forward to it, as it's got a dog handler type character in it - pretty much anything to do with dogs, and Spike's happy!

Thanks Scarlett!

Journal Entry 5 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, September 20, 2004
Ok, instead of this book sitting on Mt Toobie until I get to it, I've decided to send it on a Bookring.

There's only one player so far, but please let me know if you'd like to join ;o):

Players so far:

Bookfrogster (UK).

Jalna (UK).

aubriel (UK).

Vespa (UK).

angi612uk (UK).

jenatleisure (UK).

Journal Entry 6 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, January 20, 2005
Posted this off to Bookfrogster yesterday (Jan 20th).

Journal Entry 7 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 22, 2005
Arrived safely yesterday. A great deal of my reading is crime/thrillers, so this looks like it will be right up my street. Thanks for making this available Spike1972.

Journal Entry 8 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, January 23, 2005
Really enjoyed this thriller. Mainly for 2 reasons apart from the writing, 1) Set in Australia (makes a difference from the USA)
2) About a dog handler. Don't think I've read any other crime fiction about a dog handler.
Good story, with a good mix of characters some of whom you liked, some of whom you hated.
Thansk very much for sharing Spike. Off to jalna next.

Released 16 yrs ago (1/26/2005 UTC) at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

On its way to jalna as the next person on the ray. Happy reading.

Journal Entry 10 by jalna from Wrexham, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, January 27, 2005
Thank you, Bookfrogster, for sending this on (great postcard - I adore tortoises!) and thank you, Spike for Ringing it and thank you to Scarlett17 for releasing it ... unlike Gwynneth Paltrow I know when to stop!

I'll try not to keep this on Mt TBR too long: it's next up, but I really must finish the book I started reading in mid-December!

Journal Entry 11 by jalna from Wrexham, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, February 14, 2005
I was really intrigued by the Prologue, then got a bit fed up as I read more and more of the book and couldn't relate the Prologue to it. However, just past the half-way mark the story really began to grip me and I could hardly bear to put the book down because I was so keen to get to the end and have everything resolved.

There's a lot - perhaps a bit too much - going on with all the main characters and the main protagonist, Harry, has a complex backstory, which at times it is referred to so obliquely its hard to understand what the reference is to. However, all is explained in the end.

I'll send it on to Aubriel within the next day or two.

Journal Entry 12 by aubriel from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 19, 2005
Again I find myself apologising for my tardiness and making ammends by obliterating an arrival acknowledgement to actually state my opinion of this novel.

Overall, I actually enjoyed this book. The story was entertaining and had some unique touches, but in the end felt quite formulaic. This does not make the book a bad one, simply predicable, which I don't really appreciate in this sort of novel.

The idea of the dog handler and the olfactory picture idea was excellent. So was the fact that this book was set in Australia. Both factors helped it deviate from the norm. Ultimately though, I could imagine this story on the small screen. My brain couldn't stop making that leap to plenty of other detective stories and it did detract from the experience.

Interesting and easy to read neverthe less

Journal Entry 13 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Saturday, April 2, 2005
I'm really looking forward to reading this one

Journal Entry 14 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, April 10, 2005
Really enjoyed this book. Sort of predictable forensic crime thriller, but with the added slant of coming from a dog handler's viewpoint. I will be looking out for Gabrielle Lord books in the future.

Journal Entry 15 by angi612uk from Whitchurch, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Plopped onto my doormat this morning! Thanks Spike for sending it out on its own, and thanks to Vespa for passing it on to me. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 16 by angi612uk from Whitchurch, Somerset United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 27, 2005
A different type of crime novel. Quite predictable but enjoyable nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 17 by Jenatleisure from Chobham, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, May 14, 2005
the book arrived save and sound and is waiting for its turn in my "commuting bag"