Six Wives

by David Starkey | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 7/22/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 22, 2022
I requested this book as a present years before I realised how much I loathed David Starkey. That loathing probably influenced my reading experience. There's no doubt he knows his stuff on the Tudors, but he's the most conceited historian I've ever read. He regularly goes on about how much better and cleverer he is than other authors. Most professional historians - even the mind-blowing ones - will argue vigorously amongst each other, but in a far less egotistical manner. (Funnily enough, one of the few historians I met at university who *was* massively egotistical was another Tudor expert and major Starkey rival - John Guy. Maybe it's something that happens to men when they spend too long studying Henry VIII?)

Because Starkey loves Henry VIII... This may supposedly be a book about his wives, but Henry steals the show throughout. The women in the book felt one or two-dimensional compared to the man they all married. Starkey does what he needs to and tries to capture their personalities, but his writing feels far more enthusiastic when describing Henry's role in political plots and international tensions. I found those bits quite dull and skipped a lot.

So this doesn't get a high rating from me in the end. But maybe that's just because I know the author is a racist a***hole? :-)

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 22, 2022
P.S. My husband also read it and thinks I am unreasonable in my opinions. He enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, July 23, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (7/23/2022 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent as a birthday gift

Journal Entry 4 by kirstykat at Potters Bar, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 2, 2022
Wow! This tome is a generous gift from LittleSuz as part of my birthday parcel. I Love The Tudors and I know that I will thoroughly enjoy this extensive work by David Starkey!