The Grim Fugue (Third Floor Mystery Series Book 6)

by Alfred M. Struthers | Children's Books |
Registered by winggorydetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/19/2022
Journal Entry 1 by winggorydetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, July 19, 2022
I got this softcover, signed by the author, from Toadstool Books in Nashua, after enjoying the first book in the series, The Case of Secrets. This one follows the events of The Stone Ghost.

Later: While this book continues the adventures of 12-year-old Nathan as he learns more about the history of the strange bookshelf in his attic and how it's affected his family for generations, it does take a darker and more violent turn: in the opening pages Nathan is roughly kidnapped by a pair of thugs working for the man who has the second magical bookcase and wants Nathan to provide him with the secret hidden in Nathan's own. Luckily for Nathan, the redoubtable and bat-wielding Kendra spots the kidnapping and sets off in pursuit, but while she saves Nathan the two hoods get away in the confusion. But it's clear they aren't going to rest until they've nabbed the boy...

This book also reveals more of the family secrets - including the fact that Nathan's father, whom he'd thought was ignorant of the entire bookcase/magical-books/generational-plots situation, knew about it all the time... [These revelations - that so-and-so Knew All The Time and/or was closely involved - pop up every volume or so, and I admit I'm finding it a bit irksome. At this point, between Nathan's family, his friend Gina and her family, and the increasingly-extended circle of allies, not to mention the enemies and their organizations, it seems that a LOT of people know about the "secret" bookcases. Ah, well.]

The central plot here focuses on sheet music, which carries some kind of secret message vital to the interests of an international criminal consortium. (International crime is among my least favorite plot-elements, so that's one reason why I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as others in the series.) Yes, it kinda-sorta makes sense in context as to why the secret information would be hidden in that way, and why it might still be useful a century or more after it was first hidden, but overall I found it a bit underwhelming.

The action sequences, including Nathan's time in what was meant to be - and nearly was - a death-trap - were exciting but also quite harrowing. And while Nathan showed cleverness and did manage to not only escape but to hoist the bad guy on his own petard, I'd have preferred the lower-key mysteries-hidden-in-the-books type of story.

Journal Entry 2 by winggorydetailswing at LFL -, Forest Rd. in Wilton, New Hampshire USA on Friday, June 21, 2024

Released 4 wks ago (6/21/2024 UTC) at LFL -, Forest Rd. in Wilton, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library behind the public library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for: