The Summer Game

Where's this book been?
by Roger Angell | Sports |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/12/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 12, 2022
I got this hardcover from a local thrift shop, for another release copy.

While I was not much of a baseball fan until the late 1980's, since then I have become a fan of the game - not quite to the level of marking scorecards during games or memorizing stats, but I do enjoy going to games when I can. When reading Angell's columns about games that were played long before I took any interest in the sport, I felt an odd mix of sensations - some nostalgia for names that even we non-fans knew, and memories of my father watching baseball games on TV while I opted to go outside and climb trees {grin} - and, now, a fair amount of regret that I could have watched some of the games that Angell describes, had I only chosen to! But his descriptions are such that it's almost like being there - not quite play-by-play, but he sets the stage for dramatic wins (or losses), describes the near-misses, the legendary plays and players, and in general puts the reader in the seat beside him. Wonderful stuff!

My first live baseball game happened to be a Mets game, so I was charmed at the columns describing the birth and adolescence of that team. And since I've become a semi-faithful Boston Red Sox fan, it was fun to read about them - all the more because of their recent success in smashing the old Curse. But nearly every column, no matter what teams were involved, was a gem, and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole collection. [I'd started sticking little bits of paper into the book to mark sections I wanted to quote or refer to, but by the time I finished, the book was so studded with scraps that it looks like I'd have to quote half of it to account for them all! So I'll just say, "Marvelous book - read it!"]

Released 2 mos ago (10/3/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, Centennial Pool in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library (not far from historic Holman Stadium, the city's baseball field); hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2022 Tick Tock challenge. ***