The Picture of Dorian Gray

Where's this book been?
by Oscar Wilde | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/24/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 24, 2022
I've had this Franklin Library hardcover on my keeper shelves for some time now, and I think it's time it went traveling. (Not least because of the Open Book Chocolates Kickstarter campaign for their newest literary-themed flavor: The Picture of Dorian Gray chocolate bar, "Strawberries and Juniper Berries in Black Tea". I've enjoyed several of their other flavors, including "Call of Cthulhu" and "Sherlock Holmes", and look forward to tasting this one!)

I've read and enjoyed this book many times over the years. (I've also seen several of the film adaptations; the 1945 film is a favorite of mine.) The story is, of course, a classic - a tale of "be careful what you wish for", among other things. An incredibly beautiful and unspoiled young man is given some eye-opening hints by a bored aristocrat who wants to see what he can make of this beauty, and Dorian promptly exceeds his every expectation - with the help of a very special painting...

In my most recent re-reading of the book I was struck by a couple of things - first, I didn't have as much sympathy for Dorian as I did the first time or two that I read the book, as he seemed to give in to temptation far too easily. Second, there are some long descriptive passages about Dorian's explorations into the life of the senses, involving page after page of descriptions of jewels, costumes, paintings... I found these dull the first time I read the book, and now I find I can practically swim in them. Interesting. It's also interesting to me that Lord Henry's first step in influencing Dorian is to give him... a book!

[The TV Tropes page on the book and some of its adaptations may be of interest.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Smith Corner Rd in Plaistow, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, September 25, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (9/25/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, Smith Corner Rd in Plaistow, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library (currently decorated for Halloween) on this drizzly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2022 Banned Books Week challenge. ***