Politically Correct Bedtime Stories: Modern Tales for Our Life&Times

by James Finn Garner | Humor |
ISBN: 002542730x Global Overview for this book
Registered by writergrl of Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on 5/14/2004
Journal Entry 1 by writergrl from Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Friday, May 14, 2004
Got at thrift store today. To be read and released.

Journal Entry 2 by writergrl from Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Saturday, June 19, 2004
This was a good light read. Some parts that stuck in my mind: in "Little Red Riding Hood" the villagers were scared to go in the forest alone, but LRRH was "secure in her budding sexuality and not intimidated by such obvious Freudian imagery". The Three Little Pigs were indigenous freedom fighters (porcinistas!) defending their land from an imperialistic wolf. "The Codependent Billy Goats Gruff"!

Journal Entry 3 by writergrl at Blue Dragon Coffee House on Girard in Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Thursday, June 24, 2004
Released on Thursday, June 24, 2004 at Blue Dragon Coffee House on Girard in Albuquerque, New Mexico USA.

on the bookshelf

Journal Entry 4 by writergrl from Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, July 07, 2004
I never actually released this one. Sorry.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Picked up at meetup tonight, this looks like a lot of fun!

Journal Entry 6 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Wednesday, September 22, 2004
This book was a lot of fun. I laughed at the ways he was able to take age-old tales like The Three Little Pigs (my favorite in this collection) and completely "PC" them up! Sadly, though, I know too many people who would be more than happy to consider these legitimate retellings of the stories. Let's just say that the whole "PC" movement is not my favorite fad. Overall I enjoyed the book, great when taken as humor. Other than The Three Little Pigs, I also highly enjoyed The Three Codependent Billy Goats Gruff, The Emperor's New Clothes, and Cinderella.

Journal Entry 7 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Saturday, September 25, 2004
I am starting a bookring with this book. If you are interested in joining, send me a PM.

The list
gillianne (NM, USA)***** Finished
Anni99 (NJ, USA)***** Finished
mellion108 (MI, USA)***** Finished
Tammychi (HI, USA) ***** Finished
timollie5502 (NY, USA) ***** Finished
Ramya (NJ, USA)

Back To Me :)

Journal Entry 8 by Gillianne from Denver, Colorado USA on Friday, February 11, 2005
Got this from a friend-and forgot about it for a while. Thanks, for reminding me I had it J. I thought it was a good read-I *love* the re-writes of the stories, I found them quite amusing.

Journal Entry 9 by Anni99 from Vineland, New Jersey USA on Thursday, July 21, 2005
My favorites would have to be, Cinderella, Snow White, and the Frog Prince(loved the ending!)

Journal Entry 10 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2005
Arrived safely! Thanks anni99 for passing this my way, and thanks to Jare for sharing. I'll read and pass along as soon as possible!
Trade hardcover, 79 pages

From the dust jacket:
Once upon a time, in the olden days, heavy-set middle-aged men would congregate in their elitist clubs, sit in overstuffed leather chairs, smoke air-choking cigars, and pitch story ideas and plots to each other. Problem was, these stories, many of which found their way into the general social consciousness, reflected the way in which these men lived and saw their world: that is, the stories were sexist, discriminatory, unfair, culturally biased, and in general, demeaning to witches, animals, goblins, and fairies everywhere.

Finally, after centuries of these abusive tales, which have been handed down—unknowingly—from one male-biased generation to the next, James Finn Garner has taken it upon himself (that's right, yet another man) to enlighten and liberate these classic bedtime stories and retell them in a way that is much more in keeping with the society in which we live today.

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, then, is the fruit of Garner's labors. We'd like to think that future generations of fairy-tale fans will see this as a worthy attempt to develop meaningful literature that is totally free from bias and purged from the influences of a flawed cultural past.

Journal Entry 11 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, September 17, 2005
I have to admit that I chuckled and guffawed my way through this book. It's absolutely adorable! Garner gives us a tongue-in-cheek look at the absurdity of political correctness run amuck. :) This would make an excellent gift, and I actually have in mind a PC junkie who may or may not appreciate the joke.

I especially loved:
  • the clothing optional community in The Emperor's New Clothes
  • the brigade of porcinistas(!) in The Three Little Pigs
  • the seven "towering" giants who conduct retreats for men to help them get in touch with their masculinity in Snow White
  • litigation gone wild in Chicken Little
  • the self-actualized harp in Jack and the Beanstalk

I have the address for the next on the list, and this should be going out in the mail today. Thanks again for sharing!

UPDATE: Mailed to Tammychi on September 17, 2005

Journal Entry 12 by Tammychi from Firenze, Toscana Italy on Friday, October 14, 2005
My apologies for not journalling sooner, PCBS arrived while I was out of town. Have only read the jacket and must say I like it already!

Saturday, October 15, 2005 9:40 PM
• What a thoroughly enjoyable little book. It had me laughing until end! My husband could not help but read it, too.
• PM'd catpersonn to request her mailing address

Friday, October 21, 2005 2:20 AM
Attempted to contact catpersonn a second time

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:54 PM
Did not hear back from catpersonn, so I've PM'd Infantrywife101

Tuesday, November 1, 2005 11:30 PM
Contacted Infantrywife101 a second time. I'm getting frustrated!

Tuesday, November 8, 2005 11:11 AM
• PM'd timollie5502 for her mailing info since I never heard back from the two previous partcipants.
• Woohoo! timollie5502 actually replied to my PM. Will get book in the mail on my day off.

Journal Entry 13 by timollie5502 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Got this in the mail today - yay! I look forward to reading this at night with my husband before bedtime!

Journal Entry 14 by timollie5502 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 11, 2006
Finally sending this book on to the next person. Sorry to have held it up for so long - I've learned that I'm not good at reading books with my husband!!
This was a cute set of stories, thanks for sharing it.

Journal Entry 15 by Ramya from Plainsboro, New Jersey USA on Friday, September 15, 2006
I had forgotten I was in this ring! This arrived yesterday, and I started with Cinderella. I found it a bit heavy-handed, but after reading other posts here, I look forward to reading the stories that people mentioned they found especially funny.

Journal Entry 16 by lostbookisland on Saturday, February 14, 2009
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.

Journal Entry 17 by Ramya at Foxlease in Lyndhurst, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (5/25/2010 UTC) at Foxlease in Lyndhurst, Hampshire United Kingdom

I hadn't picked up this book for a long while, and I had mistakenly come to "remember" that I had received this as a ray or RABCK. So I blithely packed it up to take with me to England and release there, which I did on May 12, in the London Room at Foxlease, the national Girl Guide training center. Logging in to make an entry after I got home last week, I realized that I *should* have returned this book to Jare. He graciously declined my offer to find another copy to send back to him, so I hope that this book might have some special adventures to compensate for diverting it from wherever Jare might have released it.

Regarding the book itself, despite my initial comment (above), I found this an entertaining book with responses ranging from snorts and guffaws to wry grins. I hope it finds additional appreciative readers.

Thanks, Jare, for sharing this book AND for letting it go.

Journal Entry 18 by Ramya at Plainsboro, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Hmmm -- in the previous post, I had entered the release location as Foxlease, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, UK. I don't know why it's showing up in that entry as Pike's Perk in Colorado Springs!

Later -- OK, now I know it was a glitch with the new version of the website, but for the moment, there doesn't seem to be an option to delete this post.