Nightmare Abbey 1

by Tom English | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/20/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 20, 2022
This softcover was a gift from my sister and brother-in-law (who has a story included). It's the first issue of a literary magazine, and includes older stories as well as new ones, plus interviews and some non-fiction entries. Among my favorites:

"Down There" by Ramsey Campbell, from 1981, a short story set in a ramshackle office building where a few staff members are trying to wrap up their shifts - only to find that there's something very wrong in the floors below them, and the elevator seems bound on stopping at the most inconvenient places. Campbell specializes in taking mundane surroundings and making them increasingly unnerving, and this one's quite chilling.

Joseph Payne Brennan's "Horror at Chilton Castle" from 1963 is based on a long-standing English tale of a mysterious room and a family curse; in this story, we get to find out exactly what the curse involves, and the whole thing's deliciously atmospheric.

"Three Skeleton Key" by George G. Toudouze is set in a remote lighthouse, but has an unusual threat: a ghost ship that's occupied by swarms of huge, ravenous rats!

"The Graveyard Rats" by Henry Kuttner, from 1936, an old favorite of mine. This one's a claustrophobic chiller about a cemetery caretaker whose practice of looting the dead is disrupted by the increasing number of large rats who evade his every trap. When he goes underground to pursue them the story gets really scary...

"Snow" by Helen Grant, from 2021, deals with a mountaineering accident, an unexpected rescue - and what happens when the protagonist breaks a promise to a ghost.

A. M. Burrage's "The Waxwork" from 1931, which takes on the eerie nature of too-realistic wax figures; it was adapted for TV several times and is still a compelling read.

"Give Me Back My Name" by David Surface, from 2021, is about a man who ran away from his crumbling marriage and, 20 years later, has forged an entire new life for himself, complete with a happy marriage. But a slip of the tongue reveals that he was married before, and in his attempt to keep this information from ruining his current marriage, he tells his wife an increasing number of lies - only to find that they seem to be coming true. And his loving wife's attempts to help him pay respect to his (supposedly) long-dead first wife only make things worse...

"The Dead Ways" by Lynda E. Rucker, from 2021, is about a woman who gets off track when an accident interferes with her planned Underground route, leading to a nightmarish trip to - well, that's the question; where did she actually go?

There's an article on the film "I Walked with a Zombie", and another on the funny/horror TV series "Kolchak: the Night Stalker". Good collection!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at LFL [OBCZ] - New Searles Rd, #46 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (10/27/2022 UTC) at LFL [OBCZ] - New Searles Rd, #46 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in my Little Free Library on this drizzly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2022 Tick Tock challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2022 Spook-tacular challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, February 11, 2023
I'm reclaiming this from my Little Free Library, as it's gone unchosen for some time. Will re-release it elsewhere.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at LFL - Prospect St. #22 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 13, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (2/13/2023 UTC) at LFL - Prospect St. #22 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2023 Head Shoulders Knees Toes challenge, for the embedded "ab" in the title. **