The White Darkness

by Geraldine McCaughrean | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/8/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 8, 2022
I got this ex-library hardcover at a local Savers thrift shop for another release copy.

It has an intriguing premise: young Sym has a troubled home life, and has fabricated doomed Antarctic explorer Oates as her imaginary friend - who gives her advice and company as needed. When Sym's eccentric uncle Victor more or less hijacks her from a trip to Europe, taking her with him to Antarctica instead, she's delighted: the chance to walk the same frozen ground as her hero is her dream. But even as she's enjoying these prospects she worries about some off-key aspects of the change in plans. And the deeper she gets into the trip, the more she comes to realize that Victor has his own agenda, a bizarre one involving the once-popular theory that there exists an inner world inside a hollow Earth, with access points at the poles...

The book treats all this in impressively level-headed fashion, managing to make the more outrageous beliefs - and the apparent cooperation of other members of the jaunt - understandable. And it doesn't shortcut the dangers of Antarctica, especially once the party goes off-plan... Sym's intensive reading about Oates and the various Antarctic expeditions serves her in good stead, providing survival tips and early warnings, though it doesn't keep her from getting to a point where her life hangs in the balance - and her reliance on her imaginary friend may go a bit too far if she isn't careful...

A very lively and dramatic story, sometimes quite sinister, with a heroine whose trials test her to the limit. Glad I picked this up!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the novel, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 2 mos ago (10/3/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, Wildwood Terrace in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2022 Tick Tock challenge. ***

** Released for the 2022 Spook-tacular challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by Hummingbird-LFL at Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 5, 2022
My family recently set up a Little Free Library in our front yard and were so happy to see how quickly it was already being used! We were extremely intrigued by the appearance of a few books marked with Book Crossing labels. Looking into Book Crossing we all agreed it was such an amazing concept and are excited to be a part of this book’s traveling journey!

Journal Entry 4 by Hummingbird-LFL at Little Free Library, Pickity Place in Mason, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 5, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (11/5/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, Pickity Place in Mason, New Hampshire USA

This book has found its next stop at the Little Free Library at Pickity Place!