Barchester Towers

by Anthony Trollope | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/26/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 26, 2022
I got this hefty softcover at a local thrift shop. I've read and enjoyed all of Trollope's Barchester books, and was glad to find another release copy of this one.

Trollope's vastly amusing novel of manners, clerical politics, and romance in a small cathedral town, Barchester Towers is a sequel to the (much slimmer) The Warden, and while it does not require that you've read that novel to appreciate the characters I feel it does contribute to more of the back story. In fact, as much of the plot of this book is almost a retake of the events of The Warden, perhaps I should insist that you read that one first - it's definitely worth reading, anyway, so you might as well take them in order!

Here we pick up on events some time after the close of The Warden, where change is in the wind. There's a new bishop with a delightfully nasty wife and a sycophantic schemer of a chaplain; there are new love interests, and ongoing family squabbles, and the occasional serious issue under discussion, punctuated by out and out slapstick in places. Great fun.

[There's a very good 1982 mini-series based on this novel; Alan Rickman as the oily chaplain Mr. Slope is especially memorable!]

The series:

The Warden
Barchester Towers
Doctor Thorne
Framley Parsonage
The Small House at Allington
The Last Chronicle of Barset

[There's a TV Tropes page on the Barsetshire books and adaptations, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 1 mo ago (5/27/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, Revive Recovery Center in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the Movie challenge. **