Elevation

by Stephen King | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 1982102314 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingbuttonbrightwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 7/6/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingbuttonbrightwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, July 6, 2022
From legendary master storyteller Stephen King, a riveting story about “an ordinary man in an extraordinary condition rising above hatred” (The Washington Post) and bringing the fictional town of Castle Rock, Maine together—a “joyful, uplifting” (Entertainment Weekly) tale about finding common ground despite deep-rooted differences, “the sign of a master elevating his own legendary game yet again” (USA TODAY).

Although Scott Carey doesn’t look any different, he’s been steadily losing weight. There are a couple of other odd things, too. He weighs the same in his clothes and out of them, no matter how heavy they are. Scott doesn’t want to be poked and prodded. He mostly just wants someone else to know, and he trusts Doctor Bob Ellis.

In the small town of Castle Rock, the setting of many of King’s most iconic stories, Scott is engaged in a low grade—but escalating—battle with the lesbians next door whose dog regularly drops his business on Scott’s lawn. One of the women is friendly; the other, cold as ice. Both are trying to launch a new restaurant, but the people of Castle Rock want no part of a gay married couple, and the place is in trouble. When Scott finally understands the prejudices they face—including his own—he tries to help. Unlikely alliances, the annual foot race, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction bring out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.

“Written in masterly Stephen King’s signature translucent…this uncharacteristically glimmering fairy tale calls unabashedly for us to rise above our differences” (Booklist, starred review). Elevation is an antidote to our divisive culture, an “elegant whisper of a story” (Kirkus Reviews, starred review), “perfect for any fan of small towns, magic, and the joys and challenges of doing the right thing” (Publishers Weekly, starred review).

I found this book on the discount shelves of a local used bookstore.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbuttonbrightwing at Adara Spa Book Nook in Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (7/6/2022 UTC) at Adara Spa Book Nook in Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Left at the Adara Spa Book Nook @ 608 W Peace Street, Raleigh NC https://goo.gl/1syyky #BookCrossing #adaraspa