Bill Bryson's African Diary

by Bill Bryson | Travel |
Registered by WellReadRob of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 5/11/2004
Journal Entry 1 by WellReadRob from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 11, 2004
He's funny, he writes well, this was for charity. IMHO he set a standard early on that he has failed to reach with subsequent books but that's just me. And even an average Bryson is still pretty good. This one's about Africa BTW - candid and pertinent observations from a trip around.

Journal Entry 2 by yorkygee from Rotherham, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 09, 2004
Snaffled at BC meetup

Journal Entry 3 by yorkygee from Rotherham, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 01, 2004
Touching, but too short; but then it WAS written for charity. I feel a bit of a fraud for not BUYING the book.

Journal Entry 4 by yorkygee from Rotherham, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 06, 2004
To be released at Leeds meetup on 13th July

Journal Entry 5 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Caught at tonight's Leeds Bookcrossing Meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 31, 2004
I agree with Yorkygee, this book's too short, but I don't necessarily mean that I'd want to read more. It reads like a condensed version of a much larger book with a lot of interesting bits taken out and what's left, on the whole, are anecdotes about why he doesn't like light aircraft. A bit more about Africa and a bit less about him would have been welcome.

Updated 2 August: On its way, as a RABCK, to gerbie7 after spotting it on their wishlist.

Journal Entry 7 by gerbie7 from Goor, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, August 27, 2004
Back from holiday: book in the mailbox, what a lovely homecoming. Thank you gothmarcus!

Journal Entry 8 by gerbie7 from Goor, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, May 13, 2005
Bill Bryson – African diary (05-012)

Bryson is a great travel author, probably the best at this moment. Apart from a good eye for detail, especially out of the ordinary, he also has a great hunger for knowledge, which make his books very much worth reading. In this case he didn’t pick a destination himself, but was invited by Care International to visit a refugee camp in Kenya.

The result is a short book for his standards, but understandable as the journey at itself was short as well. Bryson keeps his humour, manages to throw in a few dozen useless facts, though exactly these facts make his books different. The situation in Kenya isn’t very good and especially in the camp he visited is in desperate need for attention and funds. Bryson helps in a way he does best: by writing. All proceeds from this book go to Care International. For fans not to be missed. For newcomers a nice introduction.

Number: 05-012
Title: African Diary
Author: Bill Bryson
Language: English
Year: 2002
# Pages: 63 (2208)
Category: Travel
ISBN: 0-385-60514-5

Journal Entry 9 by gerbie7 at Post Office in By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 24, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (11/23/2005 UTC) at Post Office in By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Mailed it to Biba89, as part of our Bryson reading project :-)

Journal Entry 10 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, November 26, 2005
Thank you, Gerbie7, for this lovely surprise! I am looking forward to it, this is perhaps the only Bryson I have not read yet.

Journal Entry 11 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, December 02, 2005
Being a fan, I wouldn't have wanted to miss this. I just love his style and his view on things. And if I were working for CARE International, I would be very happy to have my work and dedication described the way Bryson did in this book. Even if it is so short.
Thank you for sharing!