The Soldiers' Tale

by Samuel Hynes | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 071266632X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingdaffodil-2wing of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 3/13/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingdaffodil-2wing from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, March 13, 2022
This book was rescued from the Cameo Cafe bookshelf where it has been trapped for two years due to the Covid pandemic. It is a paperback edition.
From the cover:- "Bearing witness to modern war".
Reserved for another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 2 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, March 13, 2022

Released 8 mos ago (3/16/2022 UTC) at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book will be sent to another bookcrosser.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 18, 2022
It with along with its friends arrived safely. This is not a book or an author that I've heard about before therefore I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 17, 2022
"storytelling is a primal need. I think that need encompasses both the teller and the listener. For the teller of a war story, the telling gives disordered experience order and therefore meaning;.... For the listener, the story makes huge and terrible events in history assume human faces and human voices,"

In this book Samuel Hynes uses the letters, memoirs, and diaries merging autobiography, history and literature, to inform us what war was really like for those who actually fought it and how modern warfare has evolved. Hynes focuses on the soldiers of the two world wars and Vietnam, taking the reader to the Somme, the Salerno beachhead, the Egyptian desert, Khe Sanh, a Spitfire over the Channel and a sailor on the Coral Sea: as well as the victims of these wars- the POWs, the survivors of the Nazi death camps and the two atom bombs.

In this book Hynes gives a voice to the vast majority of the combatants who are never normally heard from, the grunts on the ground rather than the staff officers miles behind the front lines. Hynes has obviously trawled through an awful lot of British and American literature in particular to find his material, but for me has produced a well written piece of prose that felt more novelistic rather than academic. As an ex-serviceman myself, although I hasten to add that I didn't serve during any of these wars, I found this an interesting and thought provoking read that has made me question my own reasons for joining up.

Journal Entry 5 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 22, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (9/23/2022 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as a RABCK to someone who I think might find it interesting. I hope that you haven't already read it. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 25, 2022
Thanks for this surprise. Probably not something I would have chosen myself, but looks like an interesting read.