The Hired Girl

by Laura Amy Schlitz | Teens |
Registered by wingHI77wing of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 3/6/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingHI77wing from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, March 6, 2022
There is always the fork in the road,

the road less traveled,
no guarantees on how it will turn out though.

Journal Entry 2 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, March 25, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (3/24/2022 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

This lucky little book has become part of trade with GoryDetails! :)

Here's to another fun swap! ;)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 4, 2022
The box arrived safely today; thanks for the trade! I was interested in this one because I adored Schlitz' remarkable Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!, a look at life in a medieval village via a cycle of songs by different characters. This one has a very different setting, and is described on the cover as "a comedic tour de force of love and literature, cats, hats, bunions, and books." [I could do without the bunions, but it still sounds fun!]

Later: I enjoyed this one very much. It's a kind of reverse “Anne of Green Gables”, where our heroine (14-year-old Joan) flees her emotionally-abusive father and the drudgery of life on the family farm for the nearest big city. After a scary encounter or two (and after lying about her age!) she lucks into a job as housemaid to a prosperous Jewish family, who need her to help out their Old Family Retainer who’s getting too old to manage the heavier chores – and to do it without riling the old woman up too much. More depth in this one about differing cultures, religious views, and more, yet also quite entertaining. (A heroine who’s devoted to books – even though she grew up with only three novels as her entire library – always piques my interest.)

There are the inevitable culture clashes and embarrassing mistakes, but Joan is good-hearted and intelligent, and her new employers are (for the most part) the same - and the book includes some lovely scenes of open-mindedness regarding different faiths, lessons still very much needed today.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cranberry Bog Conservation Land in Carlisle, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 2, 2022

Released 3 wks ago (6/2/2022 UTC) at Cranberry Bog Conservation Land in Carlisle, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on an information board at the Cranberry Bog conservation site, along Curve St. Hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

** Released for the 2022 Allergic to A challenge. **