The Sleep Quilt

by Tracy Chevalier | Arts & Photography |
Registered by Chocbrownie of Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on 2/18/2022
Journal Entry 1 by Chocbrownie from Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, February 18, 2022
A beautiful book celebrating the great work that the charity Fine Cell Work do. Happened upon this book when exploring what Tracy Chevalier had published and having read a couple of prison accounts I was fascinated enough to order this book from my local independent bookstore.
Fine Cell Work train volunteers to work with prisoners to produce high quality needleworked goods which are sold in museums, pop-up shops and on-line. People can also commission work. The prisoners earn money and more importantly gain skills and self-worth which puts them in good stead when they leave prison.

Journal Entry 2 by Chocbrownie at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, February 20, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (2/21/2022 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

RABCK to a bookcrosser who, if I remember correctly read some prisoner autobiographies so might enjoy this...

Journal Entry 3 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 23, 2022
Received in the post today from Chocbrownie as a surprise RABCK along with another unexpected book (The Summer Book by Tove Jansson). This looks like a very unusual book which covers a subject I'm very interested in. That's prison-life, not making quilts! However I'm very grateful not ever to have experienced imprisonment personally and hope that to remain the case. Thanks very much-I'll look forward to reading the book soon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, December 25, 2022
REVIEW:-"This was a very interesting and unusual book with more illustrations than actual text. I was very pleased to hear of the therapeutic effect of quilting on the prisoners who took it up as a craft and a means of earning money as well as gaining self-respect. I enjoyed reading the letters and comments from the prisoners and teachers involved in the scheme."
Reserved for Tanamo for UK Wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 5 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, March 10, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (3/9/2023 UTC) at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book was sent to Tanamo by post as part of the Wishlist UK tag Game.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 6 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 12, 2023
Safely arrived in Hinckley yesterday along with an unexpected sweet treat. Thank you very much for both items daffodil-2.

Journal Entry 7 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, August 28, 2023
This was an interesting and quick read featuring many pictures of the work carried out by prisoners and giving details of why they chose the images they did and how the work helped them earn money to send to their families and improved their self-esteem. However, I have one complaint about the book. It doesn't tell you how you can purchase items made in this way.

Journal Entry 8 by Tanamo at Phone Box in Brafield on the Green, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 22, 2023

Released 6 mos ago (9/23/2023 UTC) at Phone Box in Brafield on the Green, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Mailed to another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 9 by millycat at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2023
This beautiful little book arrived today, many thanks for sharing it with me. I'm especially interested in it as I have a friend who goes into prisons to work with the Fine Cell Work project.

Journal Entry 10 by millycat at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 1, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/2/2024 UTC) at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

In a happy accident, having seen this yesterday and thought 'its too lovely to keep here on the shelf', I found it today on the wishlist of someone who I'm sending a RABCK too! So its going off as a surprise extra in the package.

Journal Entry 11 by TheHappyHippy at Lanark, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 5, 2024
What a fabulous surprise to receive this in the post today! It came with another book that was on my wish list so I feel twice as lucky! I was interested in reading this book as I have an interest in using embroidery as political statement pieces. I love the work of Profanity Embroidery Group (PEG), and recently made a start on the book 'Subversive Stitching' (author's name I can't recall right now) so this will be great to read through too. I think my embroidery guild will be interested in the project as well so I think I will take the book along to our next meeting. Many thanks to Millycat for being so kind and sending this book up.