The Chessmen

by Peter May | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 085738225X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingover-the-moonwing of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 1/19/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, January 19, 2022
bought new from bookdepository to complete the trilogy

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, February 10, 2022
An exciting story with unexpected twists and turns and great descriptions of the landscape (I had to look on google earth - how brown it all is) and several strands that are neatly tied up at the end.
As it is not told in chronological order I was occasionally confused, especially as there are no chapter headings or dates to guide you; also I kept confusing the women Mairead and Marsaili (and another M for Fin's ex-wife Mona) when it keeps going between past and present.
A lot of the places mentioned are not shown on the map; the pronunciation of Gaelic names at the end is interesting and I'd have liked it at the beginning.

I learned a lot about the Lewis chessmen.

One of those coincidences: in my morning Guardian crossword one of the clues was "fourth estate", which I had never heard of but I worked out it was the press. That evening I opened my book at chapter 15 and there it was again: "The advance guard of the fourthe state has arrived, too."

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Restaurant Vapiano in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, February 28, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (3/1/2022 UTC) at Restaurant Vapiano in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

For the meetup