Tomorrow, When the War Began

by John Marsden | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 044021985x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Megi53 of Danville, Virginia USA on 5/9/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Sunday, May 9, 2004
I like reading about Australia and I like Armageddon-type adventures like "On the Beach", "After the Bomb", and "Z for Zachariah" so this should be a real winner.

Journal Entry 2 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 31, 2005
The sections I loved were Ellie's philosophical musings about love, war, evil, wealth, beauty, and nature. I could have done without all the intricate guerilla battle plans and violent bombings, complete with deaths and terrible injuries.

At the end, there's an author's note explaining all of the real locations where the book's scenes take place. "Hell" is actually Terrible Hollow, in the Australian Alps. It would be a fascinating place to visit...

Mailing to another Virginia bookcrosser tomorrow!

Journal Entry 3 by vavoice from Glen Allen, Virginia USA on Tuesday, August 9, 2005
I received this book today! Sftballdaemon is really excited about it, and has already listed the rest of the series for aou future book foraging expeditions. Thanx Megi53 :o)

Journal Entry 4 by vavoice from Glen Allen, Virginia USA on Monday, September 18, 2006
When Ellie and six of her friends return from a camping trip deep in the Australian bush, they find things hideously wrong. Their families are gone, houses abandoned, pets and livestock dead. Gradually they begin to comprehend that their country has been invaded and everyone in their town has been taken prisoner. As the horrible reality of the situation hits them, they must make a life-and-death decision: Will they run back into the bush and hide, give themselves up to be with their families, or stay and try to fight?
-----------
What would you do? A very interesting novel full of heart-stopping, adreneline-pumping adventure, interlaced with teen love and the age-old philosophical questions of what is right and what is wrong.

Though the story is told through the eyes of a teenaged girl, I believe this is a good read for YA readers of both genders. Older readers might be dissuaded by my mention of "teen love", but that takes a very small portion of the story and is definitely outweighed by the adventure.

Journal Entry 5 by vavoice from Glen Allen, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 22, 2006
This book was requested at PaperBackSwap.com. Happy Reading!