The Book of Longings

by Sue Monk Kidd | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingFifnawing of Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 1/4/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 4, 2022
"'I am Ana. I was the wife of Jesus.'
Raised in a wealthy family in Sepphoris with ties to the ruler of Galilee, Ana is rebellious and ambitious, a relentless seeker with a brilliant, curious mind and a daring spirit. She yearns for a pursuit worthy of her life, but finds no outlet for her considerable talents. Defying the expectations placed on women, she engages in furtive scholarly pursuits and writes secret narratives about neglected and silenced women. When she meets the eighteen-year-old Jesus, each is drawn to and enriched by the other’s spiritual and philosophical ideas. He becomes a floodgate for her intellect, but also the awakener of her heart.

Their marriage unfolds with love and conflict, humor and pathos in Nazareth, where Ana makes a home with Jesus, his brothers, James and Simon, and their mother, Mary. Here, Ana’s pent-up longings intensify amid the turbulent resistance to the Roman occupation of Israel, partially led by her charismatic adopted brother, Judas. She is sustained by her indomitable aunt Yaltha, who is searching for her long-lost daughter, as well as by other women, including her friend Tabitha, who is sold into slavery after she was raped, and Phasaelis, the shrewd wife of Herod Antipas. Ana’s impetuous streak occasionally invites danger. When one such foray forces her to flee Nazareth for her safety shortly before Jesus’s public ministry begins, she makes her way with Yaltha to Alexandria, where she eventually finds refuge and purpose in unexpected surroundings.

Grounded in meticulous historical research and written with a reverential approach to Jesus’s life that focuses on his humanity, The Book of Longings is an inspiring account of one woman’s bold struggle to realize the passion and potential inside her, while living in a time, place, and culture devised to silence her."

Journal Entry 2 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 4, 2022
This is my pick for the best book of 2021 roundabout. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Those among you who are familiar with the story of Jesus will recognise elements from it, but this story definitely stands alone, as it is all about Ana. Also bear in mind that this book is intended as a work of fiction.

Shipping order:
9. Earthcaroleanne
10. Greenbadger
11. Grovalskii
12. Paulanni

Journal Entry 3 by wingFifnawing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Released 7 mos ago (1/4/2022 UTC) at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland

On its way to estelle1806. Book and label travelling separately.

Journal Entry 4 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, January 11, 2022
Received the book about a week ago, and started reading it straightaway.
Received the label today, thank you, Fifna!

Journal Entry 5 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, January 28, 2022
I was interested and curious at first by the topic and the era it was based in, but I did not love it in the end. It felt a bit too much like a chronology of events and I felt Jesus was added to the story unnaturally. I was more attracted to story of the aunt Yaltha then to the main character Ana, for which I could not warm up. Overall interesting but not enthralling.
Thanks for sharing, Fifna!

Journal Entry 6 by wingestelle1806wing at Book Roundabout, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Friday, January 28, 2022

Released 6 mos ago (1/31/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

On its way across the Atlantic as part of the 2021 Roundabout.

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 7 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 25, 2022
This book is with me now. Thanks estelle1806 for the stamps and stickers that accompanied it!

Journal Entry 8 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 17, 2022
The story on its own is an excellent piece of historical fiction, showing the challenges women faced in that time period. I found the novel well paced with some really riveting moments. However, the context of Jesus's life and death adds much additional interest. I particularly liked reading the author's note at the end of the book, as it gave insight into the book.

By the way, I agree with estelle1806 that Yaltha's story was particularly interesting!

Thank you, Fifna, for contributing this book to the roundabout!

Journal Entry 9 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 17, 2022

Released 4 mos ago (3/17/2022 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to mcsar now.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, March 27, 2022
The book arrived. I like Sue Monk Kidd and can't wait to start this.

Journal Entry 11 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Monday, April 18, 2022
The book is beautifully written and the historical world is brought to life. I enjoyed the book very much and thought it a great choice for the roundabout. I am also not a fan of Ana, and I like the other characters much more than Ana.

Journal Entry 12 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, April 24, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (4/24/2022 UTC) at Richmond, British Columbia Canada

On its way to valpete. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, April 28, 2022
Received. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 14 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, May 12, 2022
I was skeptical at first when I learned this was a fictional account of Ana, the wife of Jesus. However, I did enjoy reading it, filling in the gaps of my Catholic upbringing of the story of Jesus. An excellent pick for the Roundabout.

Journal Entry 15 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, May 12, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (5/13/2022 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Off to the next reader.

Journal Entry 16 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 20, 2022
Received- Thank you

Journal Entry 17 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 27, 2022
I have to admit to struggling with this to start with. I suppose its that sense that no matter how horrible Ana's lot is in life, nothing fundamental will change - it'll take a few more millennia for women's lib to get a say. However, as the story progressed, I did get drawn in, especially when Jesus comes onto the scene. The author does a good job of creating a normal, everyday life for him that is completely feasible while not actually disregarding or disputing the stories in the bible. But this is actually Ana's story and, although his wife, she barely gets drawn in to the legendary stories. Except at the end - although you obviously know that it is coming, the scene around the crucifixion is harrowing and tearful. Told from her point of view, it brings a realness to it all that I suppose I'd never really thought about before.

Released 1 mo ago (6/30/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to its next reader

Journal Entry 19 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 6, 2022
Here with me.

Thanks very much.

Journal Entry 20 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 3, 2022
I enjoyed reading Ana's story, if found it quick and easy to read.

I don't come from a religious background and I often wondered how this story would be perceived by those who are religious.

This was my first time reading this author and I'd like to read more of her in future.

Journal Entry 21 by Ythan at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Released 1 wk ago (8/3/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way to Cross-patch.

Journal Entry 22 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 6, 2022
Thank you, it has arrived in sunny Leicestershire.