A Son of War

by Melvyn Bragg | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by daffodil-2 of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 12/19/2021
Journal Entry 1 by daffodil-2 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, December 19, 2021
This paperback was given to me by my sister-in-law C. for book crossing.

Journal Entry 2 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, December 20, 2021
REVIEW:-"I enjoyed this book as much as I had the first one in the series-The Soldier's Return. (I have discovered there are four in total). I could maybe have managed without quite so much detailed description of young Joe's bodily functions. However I did enjoy reading about his sledging, snowballing and swimming and watching him grow up.
It was telling of the period that Ellen felt compelled to completely change her lifestyle to fit in with what Sam wanted to do even though she was not in the least keen to do so.
The singing on the bus home from Blackpool reminded me of many such "sing-alongs" I've joined in with in my time and also of trips to Great Yarmouth-our Norfolk equivalent of Blackpool. I was interested to discover that the author himself grew up in Wigton and that he shared several other factors in Sam and Joe's lives.
I found it rather disturbing being inside Joe's head towards the end of the story and longed for him to be able to discuss his thoughts and feelings with somebody.
I felt that the book had rather a strange ending but I shall look forward to reading the next two episodes when I can lay my hands on them."
Reserved for 4evegreen until I hear whether he wants to read it or not.

Journal Entry 3 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Released 4 mos ago (1/19/2022 UTC) at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book was sent to 4evagreen as I previously sent him the one before it -The Soldier's Return. I hope he'll enjoy both of them in due course.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 4 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 21, 2022
Arrived home from work to find it and it's friends along with a lovely postcard waiting for me. Thanks for sharing I look forward to reading it.