Days Without End

by Sebastian Barry | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingover-the-moonwing of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 12/17/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Friday, December 17, 2021
I so liked A Thousand Moons (which appeared on the 100 best books of the beginning of the 21st century) that I just had to get my hands on this one. Now I'm feeling a bit sorry that I left the moons in Strasbourg but maybe it has found a new reader, I hope so.

Bought this with the Orell Füssli voucher received from Mankyi for my birthday, for which, many thanks!

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, January 24, 2022
From the moment they meet, two young boys sheltering from the rain under a bush, Thomas McNulty and John Cole are inseparable. They find a job as dancers, wearing dresses, as saloon entertainment. When they have lost their fresh faces and are old enough, they join the army.
Thomas is telling the story. Though uneducated and ungrammatical, he has an exquisite turn of phrase. I just read Chapter 5, an encounter with Oglala Sioux after a massacre of Indian women and children, when the army and their horses are starving and freezing, and it blew me away.

Reading on...

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, January 25, 2022
Chapter 8, I was carried away on wings by Thomas's painterly description of the landscape as they approached the Indian camp. Then dammit, he made me weep so much I was shaking.

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Friday, January 28, 2022
A book that plays havoc with the emotions. A love story amid the horrors of the Civil War and the slaughter of the Native peoples.