The Island of Missing Trees

by Elif Shafak | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingover-the-moonwing of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 12/11/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, December 11, 2021
bought from Bookdepository for my reading group.

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, December 19, 2021
I've always said that if I can be reincarnated, I would like to come back as a tree.
Something sturdy like an oak or a chestnut.

I think this is the first time I've read a book with a tree as a narrator. It is informative, tragic, emotional, warm, mythical and historical, a little disjointed perhaps but that is the only (minor) fault I can find.
Not wanting to tell the story or write any spoilers, I'll just say that maybe, by the next generation, we can again talk about Cypriots rather than Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots. I liked the way the characters referred to themselves as "islanders".

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, January 10, 2022
Hay Festival interview

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, January 26, 2022
on loan to Susan