Migrations

by Charlotte McConaghy | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1250204038 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingvalpetewing of Walnut Creek, California USA on 12/8/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, December 8, 2021
Ii was very taken by this book when I read it as part of a Book Club Selection in 2021. Hope everyone else shares my enthusiasm.

Journal Entry 2 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Released 5 mos ago (12/8/2021 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

This is my selection for the 2021 Roundabout. Off to the first reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 23, 2021
Thank you - all received safe and sound :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 18, 2022
Wow, what a start to this year's roundabout. I have never heard of this book or this author, but I will definitely be looking out for her in the future.

I'm a huge fan of science fiction and dystopian novels, but this future doesn't feel that far away. A perfect example of the 'slow apocalypse' where the world doesn't end in a bang, but it a quiet whimper. For in this future, there are few wild animals left and only one flock of terns thought to still exist. The main story is set against their last migration, as a small fishing boat attempts to follow them - for some its a chance to find one last catch, one last haul of fish to make their fortune. But, for Franny, the journey is about a lot more - forgetting, redemption, freedom and a chance to keep her secrets forever.

This tugs at the heart strings on every single page. Whether you're an animal lover weeping over this denuded world or whether it's Franny herself, and her sad life, that gets to you. And I actually found it quite a hopeful book - the author doesn't give any answers or explanations, but the last chapter does lift the spirits and the determination that this can't come to pass.

Thanks for sharing this marvelous book.

Journal Entry 5 by wingdark-dracowing at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (1/25/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next reader in the roundabout

Journal Entry 6 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 27, 2022
Arrived safely with me.

Thanks very much.

Journal Entry 7 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 28, 2022
When the book arrived I recognised the cover and the title, I think I read about it in a magazine, can't remember which one. I hadn't read this author before, so I didn't know what to expect.

The story was much more melancholy than I expected it to be, the further I went through the story, the more weepy I became. However, it was quick to read and I think the author balanced the transition from Franny's past and present very well.

I would read this author again but would prefer a more upbeat story next time.

Journal Entry 8 by Ythan at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, February 28, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (2/28/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Now on its way to Cross-patch.

Journal Entry 9 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, March 4, 2022
Safely arrived. Thank you.

Journal Entry 10 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 12, 2022
Brilliant, just brilliant, and such a roller coaster emotionally. I can honestly say I would never in a month of Sundays have picked this book up to read, absolutely not! That is why I value this roundabout so much; it has so often taken me out of my comfort zone to my benefit. Thank you valpete.

Released 2 mos ago (3/14/2022 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Continuing on its Favourite read of 2021 journey.

Journal Entry 12 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 17, 2022
This is safely with me.

Journal Entry 13 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 19, 2022
I took a while to get into this book but when I did I found it very moving and became gripped.

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Will be heading north to earthcaroleanne soon.

Journal Entry 15 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 21, 2022
Arrived today. Thank you.